12 lead motor id

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcgill

I'm currently trying to hook up a used 12 lead motor. The problem is only half the leads were labeled. I took a meter to the leads and identified the windings. All made sense but I have a problem with windings identified 8 & 11. I have no idea which is which. Will it matter if I had them reversed and if it would what can I do? I'm going to be hooking it up across the line starting off a Allen Bradley SMC soft start using the Delta run connection. The motor is a 300 HP compressor motor, so taking it some where is out of the question. Thanx in advance....

Ken9876

There is a way to figure this out, its in a motor control book, I can't go thru all the steps, too much typing, I know the motor has to be energized at some point to correctly identify the windings. Looked at the book You have 3 leads too many. sorry

Last edited:
Good morning,
Have you tried contacting the motor's manufacture? What about the compressors manufacture? Lastly can you post a photo here of these twelve leads your working with? I agree with the last post twelve sounds like too many.

LHarrington

Good morning agian,
After thinking of your post and question I had a twelve lead motor application also. I couldn't recall what we had at the time but I remembered bookmarking the page I used to solve the question. In yahoo search type in "twelve lead motor's" select the site that state's I.MOTORS-General this site is from a seminar in 04 but pages 12-16 have wiring diagrams. From here you should have a understanding what you have going on and how to wire it correctly. You will know where 8 and 11 go and what effect they could have if they aren't in the correct spot.
good luck let us know how you make out.

LHarrington

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Twelve lead motors are not that uncommon. The 3 wires that are connected together inside of a 9 lead motor are brought out to the motor terminal box in a 12 lead motor. One of the most common uses of a 12 lead motor is for wye delta starting.
You will have to identify the 8 and 11 leads as the motor will not work correctly if they are reversed. I would expect that you could use a modification of this method for a 9 lead motor to identify what is 8 and what is 11.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.