12 volt lighting near a hot tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bam

Does anybody know how far 12 Volt lighting needs to be away from the hot tub. We are using the 2014 code book

Bam

The 12 volt lightning is for LED post cap lights on a deck, there’s 18 post lights, 3 are closer than 5’, I thought under 15 volts you could be closer than the standard 5’, each light is less than 1 watt.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I doubt your light meets this criteria

690.22(B)(6) Low-Voltage Luminaires. Listed low-voltage luminaires
not requiring grounding, not exceeding the lowvoltage
contact limit, and supplied by listed transformers or
power supplies that comply with 680.23(A)(2) shall be permitted
to be located less than 1.5 m (5 ft) from the inside
walls of the pool.

Bam

Thanks for the code article Dennis, in the 2014 it’s located at article 680.23 b6. I guess that’s the article that I need interpreted.
1- these lights don’t require grounding.
- there is no ground.
2- they don’t exceed the contact rating.
- contact rating of the transformer they powered from ???
3- supplied by listed transformers.
- what list?? The transformer is listed for this luminaire.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I was under the impression that it was required for lights within 5’. But I wouldn’t bet good money on it!

You may be right as I re-read the code section. I can't find anything else for low voltage lighting in 680 for pools or spas. I use that code section [680.22(B)(6)] for lights IN a pool/spa but never noticed or had to apply it to "near" a pool/spa.

kwired

Electron manager
2014 NEC 411.5(B):

(B) Pools, Spas, Fountains, and Similar Locations.

Lighting systems shall be installed not less than 3 m (10 ft) horizontally from the nearest edge of the water, unless permitted by Article 680

680.22(B)(6):

(6)Low-Voltage Luminaires.

Listed low-voltage luminaires not requiring grounding, not exceeding the low-voltage contact limit, and supplied by listed transformers or power supplies that comply with 680.23(A)(2) shall be permitted to be located less than 1.5 m (5 ft) from the inside walls of the pool.

My take on it is if it isn't listed for pool/spa use, it probably must be kept 10 feet away. If the luminaire doesn't meet all conditions mentioned in (B)(6) there could be situations where you can be as close as 5 feet, but otherwise 680.23(A)(2) includes underwater type luminaires, which last I knew would be zero distance.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
2014 NEC 411.5(B):

680.22(B)(6):

My take on it is if it isn't listed for pool/spa use, it probably must be kept 10 feet away. If the luminaire doesn't meet all conditions mentioned in (B)(6) there could be situations where you can be as close as 5 feet, but otherwise 680.23(A)(2) includes underwater type luminaires, which last I knew would be zero distance.

Agreed

Bam

Thanks for all the help. After reading all the specs on the transformer it says it’s for use with submersible fixtures, nothing about being pool & spa type. Does have built in short circuit, overload & surge protection. Think I’m gonna let the inspector make the call before removing the questionable fixtures.

Status
Not open for further replies.