120/208V 80 amp GFCI

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
The closest I see there is 90.2(A)(3), and I think that "connect" and "plug in" are not the same thing here.

If they were, the NEC would apply to everything in your house.
Thats an AHJ call, there are parts of the code that regulate portable hand lamps, or there used to be.
If my cart was UL listed then the AHJ would not need to inspect it again, but since I built it its covered under the NEC.
Temporary feeder installations are covered by 590.4(B), which references 400.4.
My 80A cart is used for no more than 90 days and moves from place to place in the airport for various tasks.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Would it also cover, say, the extension cord attached to a media cart, or A/V furniture?

View attachment 2572162 View attachment 2572163
Don't confuse what the NEC covers with what a construction electrical inspector enforces.
At a large facility you have more than one 'AHJ' that enforces the NEC.
For example the cart has a loadcenter with regular UL 489 listed breakers.
The conductors that feed that cart are connected to the supply of electricity and are thus covered by the NEC, 90.2.
Since the cart moves its a temporary feeder installation covered by 590.4(B)

I also have a skid mounted 480:120/240 transformer with built in loadcenter and distrubution plugs that can be moved with a forklift. The 480 plug is pin and sleeve.
The receptacles on the skid are GFCI but the 480V pin&sleeve to it is a feeder.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Is is my opinion that the NEC stops at the receptacle, mostly because there is no way to enforce rules for plug connected equipment.
It is also my opinion that about half of Article 422 is not enforceable because it is outside the scope of the code.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Its extremely misleading to say NEC ends at the receptacle. See 110.3(C)
Even panel members have made that statement in rejecting proposed changes.

Nothing in 110.3(C) changes anything...that does not require everything that is installed to be listed. If simply tells you what entity can do the listing.
In addition, the scope is in Article 90, and nothing outside of Article 90 can change the scope.

90.3(C) says the code covers "installation"...in general, cord and plug connected equipment is not installed and therefore outside the scope of the NEC.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
90.3(C) says the code covers "installation"...in general, cord and plug connected equipment is not installed and therefore outside the scope of the NEC.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Most inspectors are listing experts first, and code wonks last.

If home owners & industrial facilities required permits for all their processes, the inspectors would revoke occupancy for safety hazards, and shut them down for listing violations.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
90.7 addresses that and it has nothing to do with a cord and plug connected temp feeder.
we are not going to agree on anything...I stand by my statement that the code stops at the receptacle, and nothing you or any one else says will change my mind.
Have a great evening