120 volt 400Hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

brockbone

Any body know if it is a bad thing to use a incandescent indicator lamp ( low amperage) on a 120 volt 400Hz system if it was originally designed for 120 volt 60 Hz?

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
Incandescent lamps are unaffected by different frequencies.
(until the frequency gets SO high -- many megahertz -- that radio-frequency effects take hold)
Likewise neon lamps, LEDs and fluorescent lamps with electronic ballasts.
Magnetic ballasts will probably behave badly.

synchro

Occupation
EE
Should be no problem electrically. There's a small but finite chance that the 60Hz bulb could have a mechanical resonance near 400Hz that could produce an audible tone.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Isn't 400 Hz usually aircraft??

Actually 400Hz is not uncommon in locations where they want small/lightweight motors and other electromagnetic devices, as Hal mentioned.
However I don't believe I have ever heard of an application at only 120V, although I want to say it might occur on ships.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
If that's true, it's not due to the higher frequency.
The 400-Hz systems I've seen tended to be lower voltages, either 200Y115 or 190Y110.
(full disclosure: I haven't seen one in a while and that's likely to be obsolete information)
I don’t really know how true it is..
I was alluding to the impedance of a wound coil inductor being affected by frequency.

less amps, longer life before filament burns out...

I could be wrong..

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
A plant where I used to work had 400Hz MG sets with 2 pole motors directly turning routing bit for wood shaping. I don't know if the motor rotors were special, but the rotors were better balanced than off-the-shelf.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Actually 400Hz is not uncommon in locations where they want small/lightweight motors and other electromagnetic devices, as Hal mentioned.
However I don't believe I have ever heard of an application at only 120V, although I want to say it might occur on ships.
I haven't come across them on the ships I've been on but that's mainly been ice breakers. Actually, on one of them, the propulsion system was 100,000 hp cycloconverter with a max speed of 20Hz.

A division of our company made drives and motors that ran up to 30,000 rpm. Small for the rated power. And thus, low inertia. From 10,000 rpm to standstill in half a second and one degree of position. The application was machine tools in an aircraft works. The performance was critical in terms of productivity. The stop/start for a tool change had to be as short as possible.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I haven't come across them on the ships I've been on but that's mainly been ice breakers. Actually, on one of them, the propulsion system was 100,000 hp cycloconverter with a max speed of 20Hz.

A division of our company made drives and motors that ran up to 30,000 rpm. Small for the rated power. And thus, low inertia. From 10,000 rpm to standstill in half a second and one degree of position. The application was machine tools in an aircraft works. The performance was critical in terms of productivity. The stop/start for a tool change had to be as short as possible.
Were any of the drives you worked with ‘in stock‘ items ready for shipment upon order?

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Were any of the drives you worked with ‘in stock‘ items ready for shipment upon order?
Some, for standard applications, were. The drives we put on the ice breakers were designed and built from component level.
The high speed drives were all custom built.
Not sure if that answers your question........

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
If that's true, it's not due to the higher frequency.
The 400-Hz systems I've seen tended to be lower voltages, either 200Y115 or 190Y110.
(full disclosure: I haven't seen one in a while and that's likely to be obsolete information)

I just set up an aircraft ground power unit for our lab. The output is 400Hz 200/115 wye.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
High shaft speed is generally not a problem for turbine engines. Speed regulation however is; you don't want your main engine speed set by what the alternator needs to get 400 Hz. Apparently some aircraft use 'wild frequency' for loads such as heaters that don't care about specific frequency (the lamp that opened this thread) and there is a move afoot to over-all wild frequency power.

Status
Not open for further replies.