120 volt only smoke and CO alarms

Status
Not open for further replies.

user 100

Ok, this should be another thread but here goes. Does anyone know where voice alarms are required? I hear Massachusetts has a new requirement that if the unit is a combo smoke and co it needs to talk. :blink:

This must be the brain child of some pencil pusher in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts if true. There is nothing in the IRC requiring voice alarms in single occupancy residences. NFPA 72 allows the use of voice messages. It requires that fires be annunciated with a temporal 3 signal and CO with a temporal 4 signal.

Looking at this logically, co is colorless and odorless. The gas wh could back draft and someone w/a poor sense of smell wouldn't notice it and or/ the old Dearborn could be run without a window being cracked and you likely wouldn't smell a thing or only get drowsy/ have a headache (co poisoning symptoms are non specific and could mimick a variety of illnesses) before the co kills you......Maybe they don't want people getting thinking the alarm is defective because it goes off even when there is no discernible fire/smoke- hence the warning telling them what the emergency is.

Maybe not such a bad idea.:)

..... rant about authority gone overboard. :p

As much as I believe that regulation is often excessive, I also feel that if/since the people who live in regulation rich state such as Massachusetts vote for those who push (or appoint those who adopt/enforce) these amendments, than the people of that state have spoken. And those that live elsewhere have no business telling them what they should do.:D

iwire

Staff member
I also feel that if/since the people who live in regulation rich state such as Massachusetts vote for those who push (or appoint those who adopt/enforce) these amendments, than the people of that state have spoken.

BINGO!

As much as I disagree with many of the rules here in MA the bottom line is we keep voting the people into office that push these rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.