120 volt power in same raceway...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lu302dan

I am currently providing raceways in EMT for a power limited fire alarm system in a building with many tenants. The main FACP is located approximately 200 feet away from these tenants and a booster panel is required at two locations. I have two 2" EMT conduits running from the FACP to each side of the building that will carry FPLP type cable to the specified zones. At the end of these 2" EMT runs I have provided 2' X 2' NEMA 1 cans where terminal strips will be installed. In route of these 2" conduits I have to supply power to 5 beam detectors in a wherehouse. I plan to mount the booster panels next to each 2' X 2' can.

All that said...My question is ....If I use NPLFP type cable in these 2" runs can I run the 120 volt power circuits for the booster panels and beam detectors in this same conduit? This type of cable is rated at 600 volts and these 120 volt circuits are part of the fire alarm system.Although the circuits are power limited ( I believe 28 volts ) for the initiating and notification circuits....

lu302dan

Re: 120 volt power in same raceway...

I have read that and agree. but that is for "power limited circuit conductors", not "power limited circuits"! I propose to run a power limeted circuit in a non power limited cable, thus rating the conductors correctly. I believe this can be done....

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Dan,
I don't agree. The section applies to the type of circuit used and not the type of conductors or cables used. If the circuit is a power limited circuit, you cannot put it in the same raceway with 120 volt power conductors.
Don

lu302dan

Ok Don...i agree with you based on the code interpretation. But, can you see a reason why igf the cables are rated the same? both are alternating current circuits and part of the same system? NFPLA allows it! Thanks... Dan
IBEW local 302....

websparky

Please check here;

2002 NFPA 72 760.52 (A)
Exception No. 3: Power-limited circuits shall be permitted to be reclassified and installed as non?power-limited circuits if the power-limited fire alarm circuit markings required by 760.42 are eliminated and the entire circuit is installed using the wiring methods and materials in accordance with Part II, Non?Power-Limited Fire Alarm Circuits.
FPN:power-limited circuits reclassified and installed as non?power-limited circuits are no longer power-limited circuits, regardless of the continued connection to a power-limited source.
Section 760.52(A) permits any of the wiring methods in Chapter 3 to be used for power-limited circuits. In addition, 760.52(A), Exception No. 3, allows power-limited circuits to be reclassified and installed in accordance with the requirements for non?power-limited circuits. Where installed as non?power-limited circuits, the power-limited marking must be removed from equipment, overcurrent protection must be provided in accordance with 760.23, and reclassified circuits must maintain separation from power-limited circuits, in accordance with 760.26 and 760.54.

lu302dan

Ok...So ....In order to do what I want to do I would have to reclassify the entire system as NPLF which I believe I would then have manufacturer and UL issues to deal with...Not to mention warranties, liability, etc....I think i will do it the hard way and run separate raceways for the power part of the system. I am tired of trying to save this greenhorn estimater money due to his lack of experience, although i have tried on a lot of accounts. He will eat this one and maybe christmas wont shine quite so bright, but at leat the job will still come out with a + in the bottom line.....

Thank you all for your input...I love this forum and hope it is always around for us to learn and give advice as our field of choice is quite extensive. Fire alarm systems are new to me and I have learned a lot in the past 2 months....

Dan

IBEW 302

Status
Not open for further replies.