120 volt receptical from 208 3 phase panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I involve myself mostly with residential elect, but, was given a set of prints for a "clean room" at the AF base and asked if I would be interested in the elect work. I noticed the requirement for 3 each 120V, 20A receptical circuits. The panel, i was told, will be 208V, 3 phase, provided by the AF. Question is, how do I get 120V single ph from a 208V 3 ph panel ?

That's my thought, but I don't deal with 208 or 3 ph enough to keep it in my head. By using a single 20 amp breaker, a neutral, and a ground, i should be able to provide 120 volt, single phase power to all circuits, correct ?

mdshunk

mid tenn elect said:
That's my thought, but I don't deal with 208 or 3 ph enough to keep it in my head. By using a single 20 amp breaker, a neutral, and a ground, i should be able to provide 120 volt, single phase power to all circuits, correct ?

Mid Tenn... divide 208 by 1.732 and see where that puts you.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
mid tenn elect said:
By using a single 20 amp breaker, a neutral, and a ground, i should be able to provide 120 volt, single phase power to all circuits, correct ?
Correct, and not only that, you might even be able to use a shared neutral for all three circuits, much like two 120v circuits from 240/120 1ph.

sparky59

3-phase

3-phase

on 3-phase 208Y the voltage from either phase to neutral is 120 volts. I know you would think phase to phase should be 240 but 3-phase isn't like single phase.

I do a lot of commercial work. You would use three 20A single pole breakers. The breakers need to be right on top of each other so each one is on a separate phase. Use black, red, and blue ungrounded conductors. You only need one white grounded conductor and one green for the grounding conductor. Run all five wires (12 AWG) in 3/4" EMT to a junction box close to the clean room. Use 4" SQ X 2-1/8" Deep for junction box. Then branch in three directions from there with 1/2" EMT. Circuit #1 or 2 = black, white, green. Circuit #3 or 4 = red, white, green. Circuit #5 or 6 = blue, white, green.

Last edited:
Also, if they want each circuit to be dedicated or isolated, you would have to run a separate neutral and ground for each one. There's all kinds of ifs.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
sparky59 said:
on 3-phase 208Y the voltage from either phase to neutral is 120 volts. I know you would think phase to phase should be 240 but 3-phase isn't like single phase.

That's because this is a 3 phase Wye system. A 3 phase, 4 wire Delta system would have a phase voltage of 240 volts.

haskindm

If it is a 3-phase, 3-wire panel, then you do not have a neutral and only 3-phase loads may be served by the panel. You need to have a 3-phase, 4-wire panel in order to have a neutral to supply single phase 120-volt loads.

bsh

If the panel is 3 phase 3 wire (a delta system)then you only have 208 volts available. You need to make sure it is 3 phase 4 wire (wye system). The fourth wire is the neutral from the transformer and will provide 120 volts between the neutral and any of the 3 phases.
I would consider a neutral for each circuit in case they have some harmonic generating load which could elevate the neutral current.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
bsh,
Unless you have a special transformer the 3 wire delta voltage will not be 208, it will be 240. 208 is a wye system voltage. Either system can be set up as a 3 phase 3 wire ungrounded system, and not have 120 available. Most of the time the wye is a grounded system, but not always and even if it is a grounded system, the grounded conductor is not always run to the panel.
Don

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
don_resqcapt19 said:
Most of the time the wye is a grounded system, but not always and even if it is a grounded system, the grounded conductor is not always run to the panel.
True, but it should be run to at least the main disconnect.

I looked at the prints a little closer today. There is nothing requiring 3 phase power in the clean room. Even the A/C units are single phase 240V 60A. I wonder why the need for 3 phase. And with all the 120V and 240V requirement, it must be a 4 wire system. I only saw the panel leaning against the wall, not hook up. You guy's have been very helpful, I'll be looking around and reading more in the future. Love this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.