120v outlet on a 30a breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jute

I thought 120v outlets were always on a 20a breaker?? I've only seen 120v/ rated for 15a and 20a... I was asked to put a 120v outlet on a 30a breaker???

charlie tuna

they also make a single pole 40 amp breaker and single pole 50 amp -- and i've never installed one but i believe they make a single pole 60 amp breaker.......................... single pole means 120 volts at the rated voltage.

jute

Thanks, I think I need to rephrase... I was asked to put a 120v duplex receptacle on a 30a breaker. I thought 120v outlets had to be connected to a 20a breaker and you needed to add another breaker/circuit for more amps not more amps to the breaker???

PT

Is it a single receptacle on the branch circuit? If so, a 30A receptacle should be installed as per NEC
SEction 210.21 (B) Receptacles.
(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit. A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.
Exception No. 1: A receptacle installed in accordance with 430.81(C).
Exception No. 2: A receptacle installed exclusively for the use of a cord-and-plug-connected arc welder shall be permitted to have an ampere rating not less than the minimum branch-circuit conductor ampacity determined by 630.11(A) for arc welders.

Exception 1 applies if the receptacle is dedicated for a portable motor.

There are special receptacles rated 30A, 40A, 50A. But come with special plugs because different configurations.

You don't say what the recpt is used for? There are a few 30 A 125 V recpts out there for use with 10 AWG. The 5-30R and L5-30R recpt are two. Ofcourse it won't work very well if their intent is to 'fix' a 15 or 20 A circuit that is over loaded.

PT

If what is required is a 20A duplex receptacle, Its best to replace the 30A breaker with a 20A so that your receptacle and wires are protected properly. Of course if it will be serving a motor load, it will be a different story.

jute

This circuit would be ran aprox 50' and drop down in the middle of a warehouse to supply a small (Les Nesman Style) office ... It would supply power for (2) computers, (2) printers, a fax, a radio and an extra outlet for an air compressor or ??? There isn't a circuit there yet, I was asked to put these outlets on a 30a breaker, instead of running an extra 20a circuit

royal

What it sounds like too me is that somebody wants a regular duplex receptacle fed by a 30 amp circuit.
This would require a 30 amp receptacle which would make plugging in there electronics a little hard.
You might be able to get a compressor with a proper 30 amp NEMA plug ( or install one), but you don't want to do that for the electronics.
I would think it would be better to run two circuits, a dedicated 120/20 circuit for the electronics and a 120/30 for the air compressor.

Tim

james wuebker

If your power is coming from a 3 phase 120/208 panel you could get 3 single circuits from 5 wires. 3 hots, 1 netutral and a ground wire. If your getting your power from a single phase panel your could get 2 circuits from 4 wires. 2 hots, 1 neutral and a ground. You could take away the ground wires and some people will use the conduit as grounding for the circuits. If you run #12 you should be able to put them on 20 amp circuits.
Not sure if this will help you at all.
Jim

celtic

jute said:
There isn't a circuit there yet, I was asked to put these outlets on a 30a breaker, instead of running an extra 20a circuit

See:
Table 210.21(B)(2) Maximum Cord-and-Plug-Connected Load to Receptacle
Table 210.21(B)(3) Receptacle Ratings for Various Size Circuits
Table 210.24 Summary of Branch-Circuit Requirements

As long as you were only "asked" you can always "refuse" 8)

charlie tuna

all the equipment you listed to be served in this office are designed to be connected to 20 circuits--max.. sounds to me the best suggested installation is to provide this office with two 20 amp circuits--one for the printer and the other for the rest of the stuff......

PT

you could have the wires of the 30A to be a subfeeder and provide a two 20A or 15A branch breakers inside the office to serve the said load.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: 120v outlet on a 30a breaker?

jute said:
I was asked to put a 120v outlet on a 30a breaker???
Simple answer, which agrees with the ones given above, is that you can't do it. You are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.