120V Service Feed to 240V Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

dutes10

I have a question about a somewhat unique situation. We're installing equipment on various utility poles and we typically get a 240V meterless service that hits a 60A-2P fused disconnect that then feeds a 120/240V main panel. We have a particular site where the utility company has said we can only get 120V not 240V. My questions are:
1. Can I run (2) 120V feeds into my disconnect and to the main panel so all available breaker slots can still be utilized? I understand I will not be able to power any 240V loads and that is not an issue. It would still be a 120V 60A service. Is there any code or anything that prevents me from doing this?

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You cannot run 2 feeders into the panel but if it is a 60 amp 120v feeder you can just jump the lugs or the main breaker so that both sides are hot.

synchro

Occupation
EE
And you also have to use a full size neutral wire, because all of the current through the ungrounded 120V feeder conductor also flows through the grounded conductor.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Dutes, welcome to the forum! :) Also in Richmond.

Please contact me any time to discuss anything.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'm curious as to how a utility is only giving you 120V? I would think that would require a custom pole pig because every single phase pole pig I have ever seen is a center tapped winding.

Makes me think they have one where half of a winding is bad and they don't want to buy a new transformer...

Status
Not open for further replies.