Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: 120V Subpanel?

Originally posted by davedottcom:
you could just use a single pole breaker on the A Phase and run a jumper from the breaker to the feed the B phase lug!
That's true. It would probably wind up being a 2-pole with one phase not in use, in this case. I don't believe I've run across a 1 pole 50 amp breaker. :D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

With a #6 feeder, 60a, a single-pole 30 should be able to carry half the panel okay.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Dave,
That's easy enough, and if it's not possible for some reason you could just use a single pole breaker on the A Phase and run a jumper from the breaker to the feed the B phase lug!
That's NOT back feeding!
Why is that not backfeeding? The feed would be landed on the breaker and the breaker snapped onto the bus.
Don

davedottcom

Don, it just isn't!
The single SE ungrounded conductor would be terminated to the A phase lug energizing all of the A phase bars. The breaker would be attached to the A phase just like all the other breakers. A "jumper" wire would run from the breaker "load" terminal to the main "line" lug of phase B. When you would turn on that breaker it would energize the main B lug and the rest of the B phase bar. Same 120 volt feed into both phases. The single pole breaker in the main panel would control both A & B phases in the sub panel.

In short, the breaker would be energized from the phase bar not the screw terminal, therefore it's not getting back-fed.

davedottcom

Originally posted by benaround:
Well, I guess that install is up to code!!! I wonder how that makes you feel?

frank
mixed feelings I guess...

5% :(

Yep, that pretty much sums it up!

jeff43222

Somebody sounds a little impatient... :p

I'm meeting the homeowner tomorrow at 3:00 pm to size up the situation. I'll be sure to report back afterward and let you all know what I found.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by davedottcom:
mixed feelings I guess...
You forgot one other constituency:

baldguy.gif
1%

allenwayne

Just post a label 120 volt sub panel only,if they go to hook up a 240 welder well they are csrpenters doing brain surgery :eek:

jeff43222

I went and looked at it today. It was pretty much what I expected -- DIY hack job. Someone thought protecting a 12/3 cable with a 30A breaker was a good idea. Lots of NM is also stapled up very poorly on wall surfaces.

In the basement of the duplex (two separate services) I found an interesting multiwire circuit. One leg of the circuit was fed from a breaker in one main panel, and the other leg was fed from a breaker in the other main panel. For some reason, the hot from the circuit in panel #1 was connected to an outgoing hot in panel #2 via a length of 12/2 between the two panels. The neutrals in the NM were not used. I have no idea why anyone would wire something up like that. I didn't have my DMM with me, so I don't know if the two circuits were on opposite phases.

All in all, it's not a job I really want, so I'm going to bid it high.

Status
Not open for further replies.