15 amp GFCI with 20 amp Feed thru

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep hearing about how a 15 amp GFCI has a 20 amp feed through, and have not been able to find any concrete information about this. I have been told that the P&S 1595 can be used on a 20 amp circuit such as a Kitchen and that the load for additional recepticals will be protected at 20 amps. I have looked at the Man Spec and can only see that the max rating for this product is 15 amps. Am I missing something or is what Im being told accurate? Inspectors seem to think its true:blink:

iwire

Staff member
For starters the NEC tells us 15 amp receptacles can be used on 20 amp circuits.

See table 210.21(B)(3)

That being the case manufactures make the 15 amp devices to deal with this.

peter d

I keep hearing about how a 15 amp GFCI has a 20 amp feed through, and have not been able to find any concrete information about this. I have been told that the P&S 1595 can be used on a 20 amp circuit such as a Kitchen and that the load for additional recepticals will be protected at 20 amps. I have looked at the Man Spec and can only see that the max rating for this product is 15 amps. Am I missing something or is what Im being told accurate? Inspectors seem to think its true:blink:

It is accurate.

I don't use P&S but I believe Leviton has "20 amp feed through" embossed on the receptacle itself. I'll look at one and double check.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
From the UL White Book for "Ground-fault Circuit Interrupters (KCXS).
Receptacle-type GFCIs with receptacles rated 15 or 20 A that are provided with more than one set of terminals for the connection of line and neutral conductors are suitable for through wiring on 20 A branch circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.