15 amp rated receptacle on 20 amp circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworker

What is the theory and code behind using the standard 15 amp receptacle on a 12 awg 20 amp breaker protected circuit? It seems to me the 15 amp receptacle is the weak spot.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
In theory, a device with a 15A cord cap will be designed to draw no more than 15A. The reality is that power strips and cube taps exist. That said, I've busted apart a 15A receptacle and a 20A receptacle, and I saw no internal difference in the parts that carry current.

SceneryDriver

hurk27

210 allows a 15 amp receptacle on a 20 amp circuit where two or more receptacles are installed on that circuit, but if you use a single receptacle on a individual 20 amp branch circuit then the receptacle must be rated 20 amps (210.21(B)(1), a single receptacle is one contact device on a single yoke, a duplex is two contact devices or two receptacles and thus allowed on a 20 amp circuit.

I agree with the others that all 15 and 20 amp receptacles have basically the same size straps which is why UL list them for a 20 amp pass through, you will also see this on GFCI receptacles.

One benefit of using a 20 amp receptacle on a 20 amp circuit is table 210.21(B)(2) allows a 16 amp load on the receptacle where a 15 amp receptacle is only allowed 12 amps, but then how is an inspector going to monitor what a person will plug in, to me codes like these should only be a informational note not part of the code as in most cases they are not enforceable because the inspector will be long gone when most appliances are being plugged in.

kwired

Electron manager
My guess is they are betting a multi-outlet circuit will not have more then 15 amps at any one outlet very often, but a single outlet on a 20 amp circuit would possibly be tasked with carrying 20 amps at times.

HEYDOG

Each receptacle is rated 15 amps on the duplex. You could put 10 amps on each 15 amp receptacle. That would load it up to 20 amps.

kwired

Electron manager
Power strips have a built-in breaker to limit the maximum current.
Have I ever seen one trip? Nope.
Have you ever tried to intentionally overload one to see if it trips? Some may just have a switch with no overcurrent protection at all. In fact most with a rocker style switch likely are just switches in most cases I think, those with a pop out button style breaker - obviously have overcurrent protection.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
According to the person tasked with health and safety at my workplace, all power strips MUST have overcurrent protection. The little rocker switch is in fact a circuit breaker that will trip if overloaded.

That said, I've never understood the need for an OCPD on a power strip. If it's plugged into a 15A receptacle on a 15A circuit, just build it to be able to handle 15A. If you really want to be conservative, build it to handle 20A. Ahhhh, the logic of UL....

SceneryDriver

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
A clue: if one side of the rocker switch is marked "reset" it is a breaker. If not, it is still probably a breaker unless it is a very old strip.

Tapatalk!

kwired

Electron manager
According to the person tasked with health and safety at my workplace, all power strips MUST have overcurrent protection. The little rocker switch is in fact a circuit breaker that will trip if overloaded.

That said, I've never understood the need for an OCPD on a power strip. If it's plugged into a 15A receptacle on a 15A circuit, just build it to be able to handle 15A. If you really want to be conservative, build it to handle 20A. Ahhhh, the logic of UL....

SceneryDriver

Is the breaker in said strip a 15 amp breaker? I could easily see it having 16 AWG cord and maybe only rated 13 amps and possibly only having a 13 amp breaker as well.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The little rocker switch is in fact a circuit breaker that will trip if overloaded.

SceneryDriver

That is not true of all power strips. I have taken a few apart for various reasons and some are just a simple rocker switch, nothing else. I think (iirc) the low end cheaper models are the ones with just a switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.