15 or 20 amp branch circuit bedrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I usually run 20 amp circuits for receptacles to multiple bedrooms (usually 2 sometimes maybe 3 rooms) lights I run on 15 amp circuits, taking into consideration what type of lights are installed to determine how many lights are on one circuit.
Exactly what I prefer to do. Several reasons, in no particular order:

1. Separate receptacle and light circuits are required in kitchens, for good reason, and are a good idea elsewhere. Why lose lighting if something plugged in shorts?

2. No matter how many 15a circuits you have, one large load can overload it. Most people turn on all the lights when they vacuum, and need the capacity the most.

3. One 20a circuit is less expensive than two or more 15a circuits, and can handle several rooms' loads, and lighting circuits' loadings are predictable and limitable.

4. To me, it's much easier to wire receptacle-only circuits and lighting-only circuits. All switch boxes get feeds in and out, so there's always a neutral in the box.

rich000

Lighting and receptacles separate. I don't like the lights to dim when the vacuum or iron is plugged in.

Receptacle circuits are 20A, period. People plug in vacuums, irons, blow dryers (not just in bathroom), tools, space heaters, etc. For just a little bit extra, this is a great service to the customer.

I market both of the above as selling points. When they ask, "Why is your bid higher?" I explain the above to them and it makes me look good and then they ask the other contractor, "Why didn't you suggest this?"

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Exactly. To me, an electrical system is a dynamic system, and its performance matters as much as its compliance.

e57

Agreed, but not much referral work that way . . .

I put almost all dwelling unit general-purpose receptacles on 20 amp circuits, but don't rope new houses at all.
Didn't say I would do it that way.... ;) Me: For the most part recepts and lighting are seperated - 20's and 15's respectively - but on a case by case basis...

Status
Not open for further replies.