150 amp service sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.
150 amp service wire size and conduit size? does the weatherhead and service conduit need to be rigid? is it #1 or 1/0 in 1"1/2?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
150 amp service wire size and conduit size? does the weatherhead and service conduit need to be rigid? is it #1 or 1/0 in 1"1/2?
Are you guessing or are you using a codebook? I am assuming you are talking about as residence as the wire size is different for residence. Look at t. 310.15(B)(6) for the wire size and then go to the back of the book and look at Annex C Tables.

If the riser extends beyond the roof and will support the overhead lines then it must be rigid, otherwise, PVC, emt rigid etc will work. Some areas won't allow PVC. You could also use se cable.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It also depends on the type wiring and the Code cycle in your jurisdiction and how they enforce 339.10 in the '08 Code, and as Dennis notes residential or non-residential, also 3 phase or single, 240/120 or 208Y/120.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It also depends on the type wiring and the Code cycle in your jurisdiction and how they enforce 339.10 in the '08 Code, and as Dennis notes residential or non-residential, also 3 phase or single, 240/120 or 208Y/120.

May also depend on the POCO if the weatherhead and service conduit comprise a service mast. Around here the minimum is 2" GRC.

single phase residential dwelling. my friend put solar on his house and inspector wants him to move his panel and put the meter main in a more accessible location. while we are at it we are going to just swap out his 100amp for 150 amp.
2000sq/ft house.
existing electric dryer.
gas everything else
possible swap to electric water heater tankless next year... (the main reason for the upgrade to 150a)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
... inspector wants him to move his panel and put the meter main in a more accessible location.
Is this due to code requirements, or just what the inspector would like to see?

we are going to just swap out his 100amp for 150 amp.

... possible swap to electric water heater tankless next year... (the main reason for the upgrade to 150a)
I wouldn't even consider going to less than 200a. The labor is the same, the parts difference is nil, and the tankless is going to eat power in big chunks.

well, since the solar panels were added and my friend installed the panel 2 years ago without permits...its currently in the original location that the crica 1920 fuse box was located. down low in the "dog house" cabinet on the side of his house. the inspector wants the meter and main disconnect to be more accesible.

as far as 150 vs. 200. we did a load calc including future projects and at 125% we are still over his need putting in 150a. the whole reason he put solar panels on his house was because wanted to DECREASE his need for utility power. the permit was pulled for 150a upgrade. we wanted to try and reuse the 1" 1/4 service pipe and just put in #1. BUT!!! maybe we should just install 1"1/2 and 1/0 for a 200a. damn

shoot. i mean 3/0. 3/0 for 200a. but although he doesn't have the specs on the water heater cause he hasn't even purchased it yet. i looked at some models and they require 2pole 50a. he doesn't have any other electrical appliances. well except a dryer. and here in the bay area we don't have a/c units.

i mean we really did do a load calc on his needs and we were way under 80% with 150a. am i missing something. 200a service are not very common out here. his house is barley 2000 sq/ft.

jumper

shoot. i mean 3/0. 3/0 for 200a. but although he doesn't have the specs on the water heater cause he hasn't even purchased it yet. i looked at some models and they require 2pole 50a. he doesn't have any other electrical appliances. well except a dryer. and here in the bay area we don't have a/c units.

i mean we really did do a load calc on his needs and we were way under 80% with 150a. am i missing something. 200a service are not very common out here. his house is barley 2000 sq/ft.

1. Does this panel carry the load for the whole building?

2. Square footage is not relevant, my house is 1890 sq.ft and I maxed 200 amps long ago.

Volta

Well beyond the dryer is a furnace blower, laundry circuit, SABCs, maybe microwave, dishwasher, disposal, etc.

They all still may be very comfortably under 150 or even 100 amps now, but an insty-hot for a whole house can pull 100 amps or more, or less, as Larry noted. The work and materials are very similar between 150 and 200 amp.

Without good planning of the exact future load, we would either oversize, or chance it being too small for the desired heater.

ok. i hear ya"ll. cause price in materials will be maybe $250 or so more. but the permit was already pulled for 150 amps. maybe we will just install 3/0 2" rigid and 200a meter main with a 150a main disconnect for now so we don't have to deal with the city again. and in the future when he wants to add...he can.

BUT what about the fact that he installed solar on his house. doesn't that account to help out with some of this load. i mean if it doesn't then what was the point of putting em on there?

jumper

ok. i hear ya"ll. cause price in materials will be maybe $250 or so more. but the permit was already pulled for 150 amps. maybe we will just install 3/0 2" rigid and 200a meter main with a 150a main disconnect for now so we don't have to deal with the city again. and in the future when he wants to add...he can.

BUT what about the fact that he installed solar on his house. doesn't that account to help out with some of this load. i mean if it doesn't then what was the point of putting em on there?

I thought you said the solar install was un-permitted, if so, than it counts as nothing IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.