1500kVA Oil Fille Transformer on Roof - Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimoRowe

Can someone help me understand the requirements of 450.23 for putting an oil filled transformer on a roof? Examples would be extremely apricated. We have a 1500kVA transformer with FR3 oil and the client is insured by FM. I am just having a hard time understanding how to provide containment. Section 5-4 Transformers of FM Global Property Loss Prevention Data Sheets directs us to provide containment, but then goes on to state that the scope of the document is not to give the requirements for Environmental Protection and directs you to IEEE 980 Guide for Containment and Control of Oil Spills in Substations.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Can someone help me understand the requirements of 450.23 for putting an oil filled transformer on a roof? Examples would be extremely apricated. We have a 1500kVA transformer with FR3 oil and the client is insured by FM. I am just having a hard time understanding how to provide containment. Section 5-4 Transformers of FM Global Property Loss Prevention Data Sheets directs us to provide containment, but then goes on to state that the scope of the document is not to give the requirements for Environmental Protection and directs you to IEEE 980 Guide for Containment and Control of Oil Spills in Substations.

You would probably do better to ask the EPA or your local state equivalent agency. This is a national electrical code forum and while many of us have a passing familiarity with at least some environmental regulations it is not especially likely anyone here will have the expertise to answer your question in a complete way.

Having said that, the normal way to provide containment is to put whatever you want to contain inside of some kind of container. This can be as simple as putting a plastic barrel inside of a plastic tank to installing smaller pipe inside of larger pipe so if it leakes the larger pipe catches the leaks. many times containment is just a concrete curb. Its not real hard to figure out how much liquid you would need to contain and make the curb far enough away and high enough to do the containment.

You may also need some kind of alarm system in case of a spill.

kwired

Electron manager
You would probably do better to ask the EPA or your local state equivalent agency. This is a national electrical code forum and while many of us have a passing familiarity with at least some environmental regulations it is not especially likely anyone here will have the expertise to answer your question in a complete way.

Having said that, the normal way to provide containment is to put whatever you want to contain inside of some kind of container. This can be as simple as putting a plastic barrel inside of a plastic tank to installing smaller pipe inside of larger pipe so if it leakes the larger pipe catches the leaks. many times containment is just a concrete curb. Its not real hard to figure out how much liquid you would need to contain and make the curb far enough away and high enough to do the containment.

You may also need some kind of alarm system in case of a spill.
Wouldn't you find out when the transformer fails and you lose power?:)

KimoRowe

You would probably do better to ask the EPA or your local state equivalent agency. This is a national electrical code forum.

I am referring to the National Electrical Code 450.23 will direct you to 450.27, and 450.27 (4) Enclosures that confine the oil of a ruptured transformer tank.
The transformer has 2,427 gallons of oil. the building is a Type II with a Class A roof

How have folks done this in the past? What have they used? I can figure out all the other technical junk. I am just looking for examples of what has been used so I can find a way to apply for our unique situation.

kwired

Electron manager
I am referring to the National Electrical Code 450.23 will direct you to 450.27, and 450.27 (4) Enclosures that confine the oil of a ruptured transformer tank.
The transformer has 2,427 gallons of oil. the building is a Type II with a Class A roof

How have folks done this in the past? What have they used? I can figure out all the other technical junk. I am just looking for examples of what has been used so I can find a way to apply for our unique situation.
450.27 doesn't require you to confine the oil if it ruptures, that is just one of four options of how to safeguard egress routes from fires originating in oil-insulated transformers.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
may be important, may be not... but utility companies are now using low burn trannys when installed too close to homes. not sure about commercial property...

Status
Not open for further replies.