15a rec with 25a breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

djheroux

I have what may be a stupid question.

Here is my situtation. I am living in Brazil and involved with a American Co. that supplies housing. Brazilian power is 220v/60hrzt phase to neutral, so they transform it to 120v phase to neutral so that U.S. purchased equipment works and the employee does not need to use small transformers all over the house. One of the permenatly owned houses is going through a major renavation, including the electrical system. They will be using localy purchased componets which are slightly diffrent from the U.S..

Here is the problem/question: They plan calls for a general purpose branch circuit to one room with 4mm(eqiv. to #10) wire protected by a 25a breaker to feed recepticles with 10a/15a 250v stamped on the face by the manufacturer. I know what the NEC states about branch circuits ampacities, but I would like to know why it says what it says. Is there a danger to the residents or the appliance.

The wire is rated for the voltage and ampacity.
The recpticle is rated for the voltage. The only problem I see is the ampacity rating of the recptiles, and if the recpticles are rated for 25a with a nema15 layout is there still a problem.

By the way there are no codes here and/or formal training or certification programs. Anyone with a pair of Kleins and some 33 can claim to be a Electrician'

Thanks for the help
DJ Heroux

bphgravity

Re: 15a rec with 25a breakers

Per the NEC, 15-amp rated receptacles can be place on 20-amp maximum circuits. Per Table 210.21(B)(2), the maxcimum load on these circuits can be 12-amp.

It appears from explanation that the installation will not be to the NEC. The #10 is good for 25-amp, but the receptacles don't appear to be so.

What is the 120-volt rating of the receptacles? You stated the rating at 250-volt.

By the way, what is "some 33"? :)

iwire

Staff member

jtb how about editing your post so I do not have to get a 30' wide screen. ;)

djheroux beside the NEC violation that you know about, you would have UL problems.

Most appliances for the U.S. are for use on 15 or 20 amp overcurrent protection.

By feeding them on 25 amp circuits you may have a situation where if there is a fault inside the appliance the small wires would burn down before tripping the 25 amp breaker.

I would call this remote, but the equipment has not been tested for use on 25 amp circuits.

[ June 13, 2003, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

djheroux

Thanks for the info. That is what I thought and was just confirming. btw, 33 is 3m 33 electrical tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.