15kV Bus Insulation Corrosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6SJK

Ever see anything like this? This is insulated (fiberglass reinforced resin?) silver plated copper 12kV bus from electrical switchgear. Where it passes between switchgear sections it rests (snug fit) in a porcelain insulator, mounted in a window to the next section. This is where the corrosion occurred. Switchgear is in a non-conditioned central plant in S California and is about 30 years old. Third photo is the same corrosion point, with the insulation removed.

Any way to prevent this?

Steve

SG-1

Ever see anything like this? This is insulated (fiberglass reinforced resin?) silver plated copper 12kV bus from electrical switchgear. Where it passes between switchgear sections it rests (snug fit) in a porcelain insulator, mounted in a window to the next section. This is where the corrosion occurred. Switchgear is in a non-conditioned central plant in S California and is about 30 years old. Third photo is the same corrosion point, with the insulation removed.

Any way to prevent this?

Steve

I have seen this before, except not as bad. The insulation looks like norel, made by GE. The cause in almost every case was moisture invasion. I take it that your switchgear does not have any heaters built in & the bus amps are low so no heat is generated by the gear. Like a 1200 amp bus with 100 amperes of load.

Who made the switchgear ?

W6SJK

No heaters. Not sure of the bus loading but I'll check. Switchgear was custom built.

Nice suggestions all, thanks.

zog

Sorry on the road this week so no time for MH. PD is partial discharge, this activity is a recursor to tracking or corona which will lead to a failure like inm the OP photos. PD activity can be monitored by simple scanning of your gear as part of a predictive maintenence program designed to prevent failures just like this one.

I would get more in depth but only have a few minutes to kill before I have to go again, check out this link for inof on this new technology. http://nooutageelectricaltesting.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.