15kV switchgear

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwyllie

A client of mine is looking into some space which is adjacent to some electrical equipment for the local transit authority. The following is a description of the site:

On the same floor as the Retail space is a line up of 15kV switchgear. There are 13 cubicles with 13 AC Breakers. There are 15kV cables to each of the AC Breakers. Below the retail space , there are the 15kV cables in concrete encased conduit and 600 volt DC cables in concrete encased conduit. Above the retail space is a rectifier- this device converts ac
power(484V)to dc Power(625V).

Does anybody have any suggestions as to possible problem a retail space(i.e. bank) could have being located to such equipment. I plan on doing some magnetic field measurements in the areas as well.

Thanks

catchtwentytwo

Re: 15kV switchgear

If possible, try setting up an ordinary PC (with a monitor)on a cart and move it around the proposed retail space. Look for distortion and/or "rolling" of the screen. It would make sense to hire an "expert" to build a solid case no matter what you find.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by catchtwentytwo: It would make sense to hire an "expert" to build a solid case no matter what you find.
I agree with this advice. In general, the magnetic field you will get from a 15kV system is lower than that of a 120 volt system. Magnetic fields are created by current, not by voltage.

But more to the point, the 15 cables going into each of the 13 cubicles are routed in sets of 3, representing each of the three phases. The magnetic fields of the three wires tend to cancel each other out. That does not mean that there will be no stray magnetic fields making their way into the bank?s computers, nor that the fields will not create an annoyance. There are arcs and sparks each time a 15kV breaker is opened under load. This is a field ( :roll: no apology for the pun) in which I have no expertise. You need to search the yellow pages or the Internet for a company that specializes in electromagnetic compatibility.

kiloamp7

If the 15KV & the DC installations are properly installed, there should not be any electromagnetic or electrostatic problems.
However, check it out in several places with the roving PC as recommended by catchtwentytwo.
Hopefully you will see no problems & will not need an "expert".

Status
Not open for further replies.