167V

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Well, I have to test a new loadbank that runs at 167V across the elements. It is somewhat of an unusual voltage.

Any ideas on how to get 167V (or something close) from common transformers? I do not have money to buy transformers so it would be nice if I could rewire something I have. 120kw or there abouts.

I have 208 and 480 available.

Jljohnson

How about a 16/32 volt secondary transformer configured at to buck 32 volts from your 208 volt supply, should come in around 176 volts.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Well, I have to test a new loadbank...

I do not have money to buy transformers ...

120kw or there abouts. ....

Job scope is to test the load bank
120kw is non-trivial
Job does not have any funding.

Using precise engineering terms - you're hosed.

ice

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Or maybe not

1ph or 3ph?
If 3ph, 167D or 289Y?

I don't have an answer yet - just thinking.

ice

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Do you have any budget money at all? Seems kind of problematic to be expected to test something at 718A (or 415A if it is 167V 3 phase) with zero budget. What transformers to you already have?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Do you have any budget money at all? Seems kind of problematic to be expected to test something at 718A (or 415A if it is 167V 3 phase) with zero budget. What transformers to you already have?

I have a vague recollection about using elements in series on 480V, but now I cannot get that to come out right. I will have to go back and see if my notes are any help.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I went back and looked at my notes.

If I bump the building 480V to 500V and wire 3 elements in series on each phase, they will see 167V across each element.

I knew I must have had some kind of plan, but I just could not recall what it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.