1980’s ATS (Generac gts) pre-warn signal

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Vanhuizen

New User
Occupation
Electrician/ project coordinator
So the elevator installers asked me for 2- pair of control wires from gen to elevator, one pair for a n.c. Contact that opens when on emergency power and the other pair for a n.c. Contact that signals that the elevator is about to re-transfer back to utility power and give the elevator 60 seconds before this happens so it can come to a resting position on a floor and open the doors. Been doing electrical since 2008 but this is my first time wiring contacts, or an ATS, or an elevator. I looked for pre-warn in the manual but didn’t find it. Reading through the ATS sequence I found the terminal blocks where the signal passes through to let let the ATS know that power is coming back to utility (ATS also has a delay timer you can set from 1-30 min) but has to come from a n.c. contact which this one is not. I was wondering if I could use the (B1) terminal for the first wire and land the second wire on the common contact on the front of the transfer mechanism because that makes it n.c. The state elevator inspector told me that the ATS we had (from 1980) used logic relays and I couldn’t give them a pre-warn like they wanted from this unit and I failed my inspection. Thank you I’m advance for any information.

Birken Vogt

GTS has been obsolete for 20-30 years. It almost surely had this feature once upon a time but it would have been an option specified at time of building and one of the many modules that are installed in the door. You will probably have to find an old time industrial guy (likely retired now) that knew the product when it was current, to help find part numbers, and then hope it is still available somewhere.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
Birken is correct, this was an accessory option back then and had to be special ordered. Good luck in finding it after market. I would try ebay.
I recently turned down a request to modify 2 of these units to provide the pre-signal option. Although I could design a circuit to provide the feature I passed on it due to our name for Generac is Junk-A-Rac and didn't want the liability (this was a major hotel chain in SF.)
i have other files to attach but it doesn't like the formats.

Attachments

• Generac Gen Info.pdf
    113.8 KB · Views: 7