1km cable run @ 220v

Status
Not open for further replies.

djy2000

Hi

I'm trying to calculate the required cable for a rural property(25kW/50kW peak). The property is 1km from the local transformer and is currently supplied by a 3phase 220v cable but this is shared by a number of properties and is subject to significant voltage drop. I see 2 solutions to this

1. We can run our own overhead cable(1km) to the transformer but by my calculations an aluminium cable would have to be very thick in order to support a < 10% voltage drop
2. We can run a underground high voltage cable and buy our own transformer but i imagine this would be very costly.

I've been told that some of the neighbours use up to 50kW but the cables dont look thick enough to me. So I can only assume either I've got my calculations wrong or they dont mind the significant voltage drop?
Also if their is a high voltage drop would this cause a high neutral voltage? (assuming unbalanced 3 phase)

Can anyone provide some advice?

Thanks
Derek

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I deleted the responses that had been given so far. I am now closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. This forum is intended to assist electricians, electrical contractors, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical profession. If you are not an electrician, we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation or maintenance work.

Status
Not open for further replies.