2 conductor romex OK for 240 VAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee

Title say it all,
can I use 10-2 Romex for an Enphase branch circuit that is 240 VAC?

I see some installers using x-2 Romex for 240 VAC circuits that don't need a neutral. I don't think this is up to Code because you have to use the white conductor for a hot wire.
Will taping the white ends to red solve that?

So I run x-3 Romex and don't use the white. A bit of a waste.

JFletcher

Title say it all,
can I use 10-2 Romex for an Enphase branch circuit that is 240 VAC?

I see some installers using x-2 Romex for 240 VAC circuits that don't need a neutral. I don't think this is up to Code because you have to use the white conductor for a hot wire.
Will taping the white ends to red solve that?

So I run x-3 Romex and don't use the white. A bit of a waste.

Most water heaters in America are wired with 10 2. Take a sharpie and mark the white conductor black, voilà, no problem.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
What is an Enphase branch circuit?
It is a circuit which supplies the AC side of one or more Enphase grid interactive microinverters. The Enphase-supplied cable which can be used to link the inverters is referred to as a trunk cable.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JasonC

Be careful about not having a neutral in a Enphase system, Enphase uses the neutral to communicate data back to the Envoy as well as monitor the Line to Neutral voltage limits. Is it legal, I cant find in 705 where it says you can't. However it is not good practice, we want to make it difficult for homeowners and other electricians to tap into a Solar circuit, especially if there are financial incentives for power produced. You want the meter to record production only, you wouldn't want a load to reduce that number. If the circuit is in EMT or MC and labeled as recommended you would certainly ensure that someone doesn't "accidentally" tap off that branch circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.