2 critical branches in an EES switchboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I'm putting together a switchboard for distribution from a Level 1 generator. I'm allowing a separate section for the LS branch, a separate section for the first Critical Branch breaker and a separate section for the second Critical branch breaker. As you can imagine, my switchboard is becomming enormous.

My question is, do I really need a dedicated section for each Critical branch or can I put them in a single section.

I realize by the way that the NEC does not require a second Critical Branch, but in Mass we do need to have it when we've got OR's (which we do).

Appreciate any insights.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike01

Vertical Seperation

Vertical Seperation

The way I see this section interpreted is that your switchboard must maintain vertical section between compartments for each of the systems being "legally required" and "optional loads" more than one feeder can originate from that section but must belong to that branch only. For example in the first section you may have four positions all for legally required loads and in another vertical section six breakers group mounted for optional loads so more than one can be installed in the section as long as they serve only that branch.

mshields

clarification if you please

clarification if you please

not sure I follow your position on this. Life Safety and Critical are two distinct branches. A second Critical branch maybe yes maybe no. But I agree that you need separate sections for each branch which therefore requires 1 section for LS and at least one for Critical.

Or are you saying since LS and Critical all fall into the Legally Required Emergency loads they can be in a single section.

Appreciate the input greatly!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.