2 different circuits to same switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Would this be true of a 240-volt device on a 240-volt split-phase single-phase residential circuit, such as a baseboard heater? Two wires only; no white wire -- would that be considered one circuit or two?

Would you be so kind as to provide two citations, one for an approved switch and one not?
Two pole device switching a 240 volt load is one circuit.

two pole device switching two 120 volt loads is one circuit if it is a MWBC, is two circuits if not a MWBC, though handle tie at the source breakers possibly can turn it into a MWBC.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have used 30a 2p toggle switches as disconnects for water heaters.

I once used two 2p switches in his'n'hers bathrooms to turn on a common exhaust fan when either bathroom was in use. The lights and fans were all on one circuit, but the 2p switch allowed paralleling one pole of each switch for the fan, yet independent lighting control.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
So, although their were several load "circuits" in colloquial terms, in the Code sense they all derived from one circuit at the panel.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So, although their were several load "circuits" in colloquial terms, in the Code sense they all derived from one circuit at the panel.
Correctamundo. Several loads, one supply. It would have taken a pair of contactors with paralleled contacts otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.