2 Fire Alarm Panels Fed from (1) 3-pole 30A Service Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I'm working in a building in NYC that has 2 existing fire alarm panels being fed by (1) 3-pole 30A service switch. 2 separate taps at the service conductors are performed and then terminate into that 30A switch. 2 out of the 3 poles of the disconnect switch are used to power the 2 fire alarm panels (1 pole is dedicated to 1 fire alarm panel) meaning there are 2 live wires and 2 neutrals going into the 30A 3-pole switch.

This is the weirdest setup I've seen. Is that even allowed or does each fire alarm panel need it's own dedicated disconnect switch?

Last edited:

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I was doing new HVAC work in a produce warehouse and called for a final. The inspector (Los Angeles) was looking around and found more exit signs were need in the storage units. Told me to put them on a dedicated circuit with a handle lock.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I was doing new HVAC work in a produce warehouse and called for a final. The inspector (Los Angeles) was looking around and found more exit signs were need in the storage units. Told me to put them on a dedicated circuit with a handle lock.
Also, this circuit was to be kept completely independent from other circuits, I believe it was Section 700.10 (B).

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Not sure how much NYC modifies the NEC, but the NEC requires an individual branch circuit that supplies no other loads for a fire alarm panel. I would see your circuit as a violation.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Not sure how much NYC modifies the NEC, but the NEC requires an individual branch circuit that supplies no other loads for a fire alarm panel. I would see your circuit as a violation.
In NYC, we do not power the fire alarm panel as a branch circuit, we need to give power to it at the service. but out of curiosity where do you see that code reference? I think it might be saying no other loads OTHER THAN fire alarm loads can be fed by the dedicated branch circuit

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In NYC, we do not power the fire alarm panel as a branch circuit, we need to give power to it at the service. but out of curiosity where do you see that code reference? I think it might be saying no other loads OTHER THAN fire alarm loads can be fed by the dedicated branch circuit
760.121(B) does use the term "equipment(s)" which would permit the circuit to supply more than one panel, but the governing document is NFPA 72 and it uses the singular term "equipment". I read that is saying the circuit can supply only one fire alarm panel. NFPA 72 10.6.5.1.1

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
760.121(B) does use the term "equipment(s)" which would permit the circuit to supply more than one panel, but the governing document is NFPA 72 and it uses the singular term "equipment". I read that is saying the circuit can supply only one fire alarm panel. NFPA 72 10.6.5.1.1
It's actually the other way around. NYC is on a modification of the 2008 code which can pretty much only be read as one panel, one circuit. It took the NEC until the 2014 cycle to correct that, IIRC. The other issue is that the the breaker is 30 amps. That's a no-no; max allowed is 20 amps.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
It's actually the other way around. NYC is on a modification of the 2008 code which can pretty much only be read as one panel, one circuit. It took the NEC until the 2014 cycle to correct that, IIRC. The other issue is that the the breaker is 30 amps. That's a no-no; max allowed is 20 amps.
Hmm so is the way it’s configured currently not per code?

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
It seems that way from your description. Any chance of posting pics?
No pics, if both fuses are 20 amps and fed from (1) 30A disconnect switch, would it be ok? Keep in mind 2 neutrals and 2 live wires enter that disconnect switch

Status
Not open for further replies.