2-gang single receptacle plates/configuration

No, you cannot connect two phase conductors with a potential of 240 volts to a duplex receptacle rated for only 125 volts; doing so is extremely dangerous and violates electrical safety codes as the receptacle is not designed to handle such a high voltage, potentially causing damage, overheating, or electrical shock.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No, you cannot connect two phase conductors with a potential of 240 volts to a duplex receptacle rated for only 125 volts; doing so is extremely dangerous and violates electrical safety codes as the receptacle is not designed to handle such a high voltage, potentially causing damage, overheating, or electrical shock.
Sorry but what you're saying is incorrect. A duplex is two receptacles each one is 120 volts between hot and neutral. There is no overheating, high voltage or anything else out of the ordinary.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What makes this so different?
1725144011928.jpeg

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
So what is the reason for 210.7?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Code section please?
The UL Product Guide Information for "Receptacles for Plugs and Attachment Plugs (RTRT) says:
Duplex receptacles rated 15 and 20 A that are provided with break-off tabs may have those tabs removed so that the two receptacles may be wired in a multi-wire branch circuit or multiple branch circuits.

What would be the most efficient, cost effective way to provide a separate 20A, 120V cct/recep for DW-Disp typ installs? (1) 20A duplex split-wired using 12-3 NM MWBC along w/(1) 2P20A AFCI/GFCI cct brkr? or (2) 20A single receps in 2G box w/(2) sep 12-2 NM cables to (2) 1P20A AFCI/GFCI brkrs?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
What would be the most efficient, cost effective way to provide a separate 20A, 120V cct/recep for DW-Disp typ installs? (1) 20A duplex split-wired using 12-3 NM MWBC along w/(1) 2P20A AFCI/GFCI cct brkr? or (2) 20A single receps in 2G box w/(2) sep 12-2 NM cables to (2) 1P20A AFCI/GFCI brkrs?
I would do it as shown in post #12, less parts and expense

Assuming both of these need afci and gfci, you would need to have a separate neutral for each so either 2 12/2's or 12-4 cable

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Two circuits on 1 duplex has always been allowed. What has changed in the past is that it must be a two pole breaker. Maybe a handle tie on 2 singles is allowed

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
On the point of the receptacle only being rated for 120V, not 240V:

A normal NEMA 5-15 receptacle has a configuration associated with 120V operation. This configuration says nothing about the actual voltage handling capability of the components; all it tells you is that the _shape_ of the receptacle is intended for use on 120V circuits.

The actual voltage rating of a plug or receptacle is often difficult to ferret out. In fact at the moment I cannot find any datasheet and I'm hoping someone else can locate a reference. But as I recall, for at least one manufacturer, all of their locking devices were built with a 600V rating. It would not surprise me if the actual voltage rating of a normal 120V duplex receptacle is 240 or 300V or higher.

-Jonathan

kwired

Electron manager
Rule #1 - ignore code advice from Lowe’s employees.
Even supply house employees often have little idea what is code.

Customized/not so common plates are maybe going to be harder to get from big box than from a supply house. Either one of them may have somewhat extended lead time if it is not a common stock item from distribution center or manufacturer.

I've been waiting for like two maybe three weeks for a simple four gang stainless switch plate that I thought worst case the supply house may simply transfer from another one of their locations. Didn't think that configuration would be that rare that nobody would have it.