2 Ground rods required?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Wanted to know if 2 ground rods would be required for a irrigation pedestal meter / combo. No ground resistance testing will probably be done.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I assume this is a separate service? Don't have the book handy, but I believe it's test to 25 ohms or less or skip the test and drive 2 rods. I'll take "B" all day long.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Wanted to know if 2 ground rods would be required for a irrigation pedestal meter / combo. No ground resistance testing will probably be done.
Is it supplied by a service or a feeder?
I think I answered it in the beginning. I would think that if it's a meter/main /combo it would be service. Maybe because I am used to the peoples republic of California. :)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Service or feeder wouldn't change anything although I've heard that some locales allow a single rod with a separate structure for a feeder. NEC still requires two unless tested.
Would an irrigation pedestal be a structure ??
How would it differ from a RV pedestal where most folks don't require rods.

(Assuming it's a feeder---- with the meter is likely service and rods are required....just covering bases )

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Would an irrigation pedestal be a structure ??
How would it differ from a RV pedestal where most folks don't require rods.

(Assuming it's a feeder---- with the meter is likely service and rods are required....just covering bases )
Good question, I missed the pedestal part and assumed it was a structure. You're correct that the service would require a GES, an irrigation pedestal just an EGC.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Two rods based on what? Is it fed by a feeder or a branch circuit? Is it a structure?
It being a meter/disconnect it is safe to assume a service feeder.
No pictures, so is it or isn't it a structure based on NEC Definition? Most likely a structure, unless the meter/disconnect is somehow a free standing piece of equipment (Never saw one) it would be mounted to some sort of structure.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It being a meter/disconnect it is safe to assume a service feeder.
No pictures, so is it or isn't it a structure based on NEC Definition? Most likely a structure, unless the meter/disconnect is somehow a free standing piece of equipment (Never saw one) it would be mounted to some sort of structure.
The discussion shifted to when the irrigation pedestal is NOT fed by a service as Augie mentioned in post #7. If it's not fed by a service then are ground rods required?