2 hour rating for a donor cable

Fred Nofen

New User
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The fire department requires a 2 hour enclosure or plenum rated cable for an antenna donor cable for a BDA system for the purpose of hazardous smoke but not damage to the cable itself. Will EMT provide that 2 hour rating to prevent toxic smoke

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The fire department requires a 2 hour enclosure or plenum rated cable for an antenna donor cable for a BDA system for the purpose of hazardous smoke but not damage to the cable itself. Will EMT provide that 2 hour rating to prevent toxic smoke
EMT by itself will not provide a two hour rating and will not prevent the heat from causing the cable to release toxic smoke if the insulation is of the type that will create toxic smoke when heated.
There are systems that can be installed on EMT to create a 2 hour rating, but they are very labor intensive.

ryant35

There is 2hr fire rated 1/2" coax. However the last quote I received was $23K for 300'. So for me, that isn't an option.
The riser needs to be inside a 2hr rated shaft or stacked 2hr rated rooms. If you don't have that the GC will need to build out a shaft for you.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Plenum cable shouldn't be that hard to find, but it is more difficult and less common. What cable type do you need (e.g. RG-xx or LMR-xx or ...)?

I'm not familiar with this requirement, but a 2-hour rule seems like a different requirement than a plenum requirement. A plenum cable could burn up in a few minutes, but won't release toxic smoke. As long as they say "or", I would think plenum would be cheaper unless the cable type is weird.