2 kitchen circuits required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Are the 2 required kitchen circuits allowed to feed other kitchen outlets other than countertops? I've been wiring 2 countertop circuits as designated countertop outlets only. Thanks.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Are the 2 required kitchen circuits allowed to feed other kitchen outlets other than countertops? I've been wiring 2 countertop circuits as designated countertop outlets only. Thanks.
Yes, but not a bad idea to keep the counter tops separate, or at least keep one that is.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
2 circuits minimum for small appliances. But....

I usually try to keep countertop receptacles to 3 on a circuit. That said, I don't mind sharing with other receps like dining, dinette, under-counter wine fridge, trash compactor, and other "zero-to-little" loads.

I count fridge as c.t. on a circuit

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I like it when the design has a designated microwave space, and when it does I'll give that it's own circuit. Nice to get that off the list of big loads that could potentially be on together and trip a circuit.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Same here. MW can be a real heavy load. I’ve seen circuits trip from a MW & toaster oven or MW & coffepot together. I’ve always dedicated a ckt for MW if I know where it will be.

Fridge should always be a dedicated circuit. Keep food as safe as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.