2 load breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Fos

Dilemma , been told that you can never use more than one conductor on a breaker, can anyone tell me for sure if it is legal,most home if not all tag them as not legal. Can any one shed some light on this?Please see attachments, thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1223.jpg
    IMG_1223.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1224.jpg
    IMG_1224.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1225.jpg
    IMG_1225.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1226.jpg
    IMG_1226.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1228.jpg
    IMG_1228.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 0

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As indicated by the graphic right on the breaker these can be used with either one or two conductors within the wire range(s) listed.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Dilemma , been told that you can never use more than one conductor on a breaker, can anyone tell me for sure if it is legal,most home if not all tag them as not legal. Can any one shed some light on this?Please see attachments, thanks

If the breaker is listed for more than one conductor, like the pictures you posted, then you can use more than one conductor.

Larry Fos

2 load breaker

2 load breaker

Totally agree , inspectors in this area for the most will not accept them, had many fights about this so I have just knuckled under and put a tandem breaker in its place rather than spend the time arguing. Give someone a little authority and it goes right to their head.:p

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
. . . I have just knuckled under and put a tandem breaker in its place rather than spend the time arguing.
A simpler and perfectly acceptable fix is to use a pigtail and wirenut to join the two wires on a single terminal.

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
If the manufacturer allows two wires on a terminal then it's allowed by code. I have also gotten into arguments with insurance companies and as well as inspectors. I know for a fact that Square D breakers allow two wires on the compression plate terminals that have the Dual slots. I would ask the inspector why the terminal has two slots if you can only put one wire on it.

I think the reason why a lot of inspectors scrutinize double tap Breakers is because in the past when homeowners wanted to add a circuit to a maxed out panel they would take the home run from an entirely separate circuit and double it up on another breaker

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.