2 phase 5 wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What is the voltage from neutral to phase and phase to phase on a 2 phase and what voltages were on the load side?

StephenSDH

2Phase.jpg

Two single phase center tapped transformers with the center tap tied together and 90 degrees out. I believe I have this correct others can chime in.

"Scott T"

"Scott T"

2Phase.jpg

Two single phase center tapped transformers with the center tap tied together and 90 degrees out. I believe I have this correct others can chime in.

We spent a few years working on two-phase systems in Philadelphia...in fact they are still in use around center city. Do a search for a "Scott T" connection which was the identification for the winding configuration of transformers.
Primary was 2400 volt single phase - two separate sets which power two single winding transformers with secondary connection configuration called "Scott T".
The secondary has (4) phase legs and a (120V) neutral common to all (4).
phase A to B = 240V phase C to D = 240 but measure between A or B to C or D and you'll get a (forgive the expression) bastard voltage that is not usable.
just for fun...two phase elevators needed the correct (4) letter sequence connections before they would operate!

Harry in NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.