2 Pole breaker no handties

Status
Not open for further replies.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is their any code violation using a 2 pole breaker with hand ties removed for two 120 v circuits ( no shared neutral ) ?

kwired

Electron manager
Impossible to do with a QO breaker without redesigning it first:)

Same applies to many "industrial" breaker lines that only have a single handle for multiple poles.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Code violation.

Anyway not something I would do. I know for a fact old GE breakers will jam when one pole is in the off position and the other tries to trip because the internal common trip mechanism hangs up the arm which rests against the metal trip piece. Can be replicated (seen) by pulling off the handle ties and breaking part of the casing off.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
*Also, just to add that when you break the casing off it lets you take a paper clip and move the trip piece back simulating an over load. The arm will release but get hung up on the internal common trip lever preventing that arm from going down. What made me do this in the first place was when a MWBC fed from a double pole handle ties removed breaker inadvertently short circuited while the other pole was turned off. The pole left on never tripped despite carnage saying it should have.

Status
Not open for further replies.