2 pole shared disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have 240V 2 pole shared fused disconnect that shares load with 120V single phase chair lift and 120V single phase trickle charger for battery backup of chair lift. I have total of 5#12 awg into disconnect 2 phase, 2 neutral and one ground.

Would this be allowed by the code?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Read the definition of a MWBC (with separate neutral it's not)
The neutrals could be connected in such a manner that they are not in parallel (not on the neutral block)

AdamTeeScott

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As long as the ground remains separate from the neutrals I don't see anything wrong with it.
Curious tho since you mentioned MWBC, are the two phases connected to a 2-pole breaker?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Read the definition of a MWBC (with separate neutral it's not)
The neutrals could be connected in such a manner that they are not in parallel (not on the neutral block)

But if they wired phase A and phase B conductors so that they are in parallel then its a problem?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Yes... don't connect the two neutrals together. You have two separate circuits.

Ok I dont find this in any code section dont connect two neutrals parallel different phases. Ofcourse code is not install manual but you know which Article and section to look at for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
For one MWBC, you should use only one neutral wire, and a 20p or two tied 1p breakers.

For two 2-wire circuits, use both neutrals, but unparalleled, and any two 1p breakers.

There is no problem except possible inconvenience for two circuits sharing a 2p disco.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The OP has started a new thread on this subject, if anyone wants to participate please go HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.