2 portable generators

Status
Not open for further replies.

maclin

I have someone who has 2 portable generators and a main panel for the house and a sub panel for an inlaw addition.They want a reliance 6 circuit manual transfer switch installed for the main panel (gen.#1)and a second manual transfer switch for the sub panel(gen#2). Each manual switch requires a 30 amp power inlet mounted outside.These switches only do 6 branch circuits , not the entire panel.My concern is with the sub panel neutral. Any thoughts?

maclin

When the normal and generator power are both on,the sub panel neutral will be carrying both.I'm thinking about potential issues with electronic equiptment?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
It's late, so I might not be thinking entirely clearly; but theoretically there's no problem with what you describe. The neutral current returning from the loads supplied will seek their own generator, current should not flow from one panel to the next.

I think you could have a problem with 225.30.

kwired

Electron manager
It's late, so I might not be thinking entirely clearly; but theoretically there's no problem with what you describe. The neutral current returning from the loads supplied will seek their own generator, current should not flow from one panel to the next.

I think you could have a problem with 225.30.

No different than having two neighbors with generators and both connected to the service neutral.

I don't see that he has two separate structures so how does anything in 225 apply?

kwired

Electron manager
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by kwired
I don't see that he has two separate structures so how does anything in 225 apply?

Each manual switch requires a 30 amp power inlet mounted outside.

I see what you are getting at.

boltneck

When the normal and generator power are both on,the sub panel neutral will be carrying both.I'm thinking about potential issues with electronic equiptment?

with the proper interlock the normal and generator power cannot both be on at the same time
the neutral will only carry the load of one or the other

Status
Not open for further replies.