2 screw ground clamp

sparkync

Can a 2 screw ground clamp that is usually used for water pipe be used outside? I have a gas line that needs to be bonded with the ground rods at the service, and it would be a whole lot simpler to bond it when I go to the ground rods outside, than going back under the house with it.
Thanks

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Can you please site the CA code that prohibits this. Gas lines get bonded by every gas appliance that also has an electrical connection.

See attached document from the Southern California Gas Company.

Attachments

• Southern California Gas Company Gas Service Guidebook.pdf
    205 KB · Views: 12

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
See 2023 NEC 250.52 Grounding Electrodes
(B) Not permitted for use as grounding electrode
(1) Metal underground gas piping system

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
See attached document from the Southern California Gas Company.
That says you can't bond the house line to the supply line. The utilities install insulating fittings at the gas riser to isolate their underground system from the house piping.

That doesn't say you can't bond the interior gas piping which is required by the NEC.

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
I know this dead horse is beat, but here is my understanding if anyone is interested. Anything that is "likely" to become energized must be bonded. However, even if a gas line is bonded, a gas line can NOT be used as an effective ground fault return path.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Applicants must ensure that house line gas pipe is electrically bonded and grounded [...]
Do not allow house line gas pipe to be electrically bonded to SoCalGas gas service piping, gas risers, or meter facilities [...]
Do not use SoCalGas's gas service piping [...] for electric grounding

I couldn't cut and paste from this particular .pdf, but I think I conveyed the meaning correctly.

You _must_ bond inside piping. You must _not_ bond their service pipe or meter equipment.

If you bond outside you will need to be very careful about which pipe you bond to, and be careful about risking corrosion at the bond location. Gas pipe is usually 'black iron' and often painted outside. Bonding outside means breaking through any paint.

-Jon

sparkync

I couldn't cut and paste from this particular .pdf, but I think I conveyed the meaning correctly.

You _must_ bond inside piping. You must _not_ bond their service pipe or meter equipment.

If you bond outside you will need to be very careful about which pipe you bond to, and be careful about risking corrosion at the bond location. Gas pipe is usually 'black iron' and often painted outside. Bonding outside means breaking through any paint.

sparkync

I just decided not to bond the gas pipe. If he wants me to bond it, I will run some copper under the house and bond it there.
It goes through the wall right beside my meter/combo. Thanks for the info on corrosion of the gas pipe. I was getting ready to put it there and would have had to scratch the paint off👍