2 wire circuit and GFIC outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffwark

New User
Occupation
Retired
I have a home built in the 50s that utilizes 2 wire circuits. I have GFIC breakers installed in the bathrooms. I can press test button, and the breaker trips. We are in process of selling home and buyers home inspector recommended getting them repaired.

I’m trying to come up with an acceptable response vs running new wiring to these outlets.

Your thoughts?
Thanks in advance

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The GFCI outlets are working properly, the HI is probably using a plug in type analyser and doesn't understand they will not trip a GFCI on a two wire circuit. Jeff, are you an electrician?

Roger

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Home Inspectors are famous for using the plug in tester and not understanding that it not the required way to test an GFCI. Pushing the test button is the only way (per manufacturers instructions to test a GFCI). What you have is allowed by the NEC. Have the home inspector remove this from his list.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I've seen numerous inspectors, both city and real estate, who think a gfci function paired with a 2-wire receptacle is only kosher in non-wet locations. I have no idea why.

Well, I do know why. They just don't know how a gfci functions.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Jeff, are you an electrician or working in the electrical trade ? If not, the forum rules dictate that we are not to provide any instructional information. It's a legal thing. I'll leave that to the moderators.

Just a side bar to this thread, the receptacles have to be labeled "GFCI Protected" and "No Equipment Ground". Hopefully you saved some of the labels from other GFCI receptacles that you've installed over the years. As previously mentioned, the test button on the GFCI breaker is the only legit way to test these receptacles. A plug-in tester will show that the equipment ground is missing and the test button on that tester will not function.

Status
Not open for further replies.