20-30A UL Listed 1000V Non-fused or Fused terminal blocks needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are currently working in a VERY restrictive and rigorous AHJ on a 163kW rooftop solar install. I need a rooftop NEMA4X rated DC J-box solution that will accept 12 positive wires, 12 negative wires plus an additional 4 grounds into 1000V rated non-fused terminals. AHJ says that the terminal blocks must be UL “listed”; they will not accept UL “recognized”. I cannot find a 1000V rated non-fused terminal block that is UL listed anywhere. :eek:hmy:Do they exist? Where to buy?

If not, I would need to find a 1000V rated fused terminal block solution where the fused holder and fuse are both UL "Listed". Also having trouble finding these as well.

Any suggestions?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
We are currently working in a VERY restrictive and rigorous AHJ on a 163kW rooftop solar install. I need a rooftop NEMA4X rated DC J-box solution that will accept 12 positive wires, 12 negative wires plus an additional 4 grounds into 1000V rated non-fused terminals. AHJ says that the terminal blocks must be UL “listed”; they will not accept UL “recognized”. I cannot find a 1000V rated non-fused terminal block that is UL listed anywhere. :eek:hmy:Do they exist? Where to buy?

If not, I would need to find a 1000V rated fused terminal block solution where the fused holder and fuse are both UL "Listed". Also having trouble finding these as well.

Any suggestions?

Have you looked at SolarBOS and Bentek solutions?

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
UL labels no longer use the term “listed”, which only apply to NEC definitions for equipment NRTL testing. Equipment within NEC jurisdictions can be tested by other NRTL’s with approved test standards.

If you find terminal blocks with any NRTL label, contact that NRTL with your inspector’s contact info., and see if they can justify their label with the AHJ.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Any suggestions?
The AHJ is correct. "Recognized" parts are only intended for use by an OEM in the manufacture of listed equipment. You are not permitted to field install parts that are recognized. You have found the problem with this, as very few terminal blocks are "listed", most are "recognized".

ggunn

Occupation
The AHJ is correct. "Recognized" parts are only intended for use by an OEM in the manufacture of listed equipment. You are not permitted to field install parts that are recognized. You have found the problem with this, as very few terminal blocks are "listed", most are "recognized".

I'm pretty sure that the SolarBOS and Bentek DC combiners are UL listed, so their listing would cover their components.

ggunn

Occupation
I wonder if it's a problem that the OP needs a 'j-box' instead of a combiner.

Well, I guess I assumed that since he was talking about 12 circuits he would want to combine them rather than sending them out individually.

raider1

Staff member
UL labels no longer use the term “listed".

Actually that is not correct. Manufactures are still permitted to use the UL Listed mark. UL does have a new Certification program where we use the term "Certified" instead of "Listed".

Launched in mid-2013, the enhanced UL Certified Mark can be used on both UL Listed and Classified products and is intended to make it easier and simpler for stakeholders to understand
the scope of UL’s certifications of a specific product. The enhanced UL Certified Mark makes it possible to bundle multiple UL certifications for multiple geographies into a single Mark design.
Today, this mark is used for products certified to U.S., Canadian, European and Japanese requirements. This Mark utilizes a unique identifier to enable stakeholders to search UL’s Online
Certifications Directory at www.ul.com/database to quickly review detailed certification information.

All currently existing versions of UL’s Listing and Classification Marks remain valid and should continue to be accepted as an indication of certification.
UL expects the transition to the enhanced Mark to happen over time, so you may not see it in the immediate future.

Chris

Thanks for the Feedback.

Thanks for the Feedback.

Thank you everyone. Still seems like there is dispute around the application of UL "recognized" or "certified" components vs. "listed" though. I definitely want to pull the 12 stings straight through without combining which is the reason finding a box and solution is so difficult. I will check out Marathon, SolarBOS and Bentek and get back with you. Cheers!

Thank you everyone. Still seems like there is dispute around the application of UL "recognized" or "certified" components vs. "listed" though. I definitely want to pull the 12 stings straight through without combining which is the reason finding a box and solution is so difficult. I will check out Marathon, SolarBOS and Bentek and get back with you. Cheers!

Is just using MC4 connectors an option?

pv_n00b

Any suggestions?

Any UL 508a panel shop can make you up a custom panel that is Listed and will be acceptable to any rational AHJ. There are a lot in the PV industry, SolarBOS, Bentek, AMtec, ConnectPV, Eaton, Schneider, etc.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Any UL 508a panel shop can make you up a custom panel that is Listed and will be acceptable to any rational AHJ. There are a lot in the PV industry, SolarBOS, Bentek, AMtec, ConnectPV, Eaton, Schneider, etc.

The panel shop can use recognized components to make a listed product.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Besoeker

Any suggestions?
Tried Sprecher & Schuh?

Address: 15910 International Plaza Dr, Houston, TX 77032, USA
Phone: +1 281-442-9000

Status
Not open for further replies.