20 amp "only" to bathroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Please tell us how you see the wording allowing a 15 amp receptacle circuit, not saying it can't be interpreted that way but I am not seeing it. And disregard any older install that once would have been compliant.
Where bathroom receptacle outlet(s) on 20A circuit is installed, the requirement of 210.11(C)(3) is satisfied. The "(s)" appended to outlets is only indication we can put more than one bathroom receptacle outlet on this 20A circuit.

Please cite any section which prohibits additional circuits, other equipment, or outlets in a bathroom.

So what are the chances that where only one receptacle on the 20A circuit is installed, it's supposed to be the one required by 210.52(D)? What if we put a 15A receptacle on a 15A circuit in the location specified by 210.52(D)... and the receptacle outlet specified by 210.11(C)(3) elsewhere in the bathroom ...would that be compliant?

Neither 210.11(C)(3) nor 210.52(D) refer to each other.

kwired

Electron manager
Now I am maybe thinking too hard about what it says. Just what does "In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section" mean? Is it referring to all of art 210, just 210.11, all of 210 part I...

I can run 10 circuits to the bathroom if I want as long as at least one of them is 20 amps and feeds a receptacle - and no other outlets except bath outlets on that 20 amp circuit? If I run multiple 20 amp circuits that supply bath receptacles, can they feed other outlets as long as one of them only feeds bath outlets?

ritelec

Now I am maybe thinking too hard about what it says. Just what does "In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section" mean? Is it referring to all of art 210, just 210.11, all of 210 part I...

I can run 10 circuits to the bathroom if I want as long as at least one of them is 20 amps and feeds a receptacle - and no other outlets except bath outlets on that 20 amp circuit? If I run multiple 20 amp circuits that supply bath receptacles, can they feed other outlets as long as one of them only feeds bath outlets?

Not complex?

:D

Thank you for the interest.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Section means just the part after the decimal, i.e. just 210.11.

Yes and yes.

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
Bathroom outlets

Bathroom outlets

In new construction, I put my bathroom lighting on the gen lighting circuit for that area and a shared 20A for the bathroom GFIs. I consider it best practice and most cost effective. In a remodel situation, you can add the required 20A circuit and leave the lighting/fan outlets intact, but i would cap off the old receps. That way you ensure that bathroom appliance loads can only be on the bathroom circuit and not the gl. If you choose to leave the gl receps in the bathroom, just make sure they're all gfci protected!

Status
Not open for further replies.