20-ampere small-appliance circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldman

210.11(C)1, basically says that we have to run at least 2 20-ampere small-appliance circuits. My question is: Can we run a 12 AWG to the first receptacle and then 14 AWG to all others?

stamcon

Re: 20-ampere small-appliance circuit

The entire branch circuit is 20A rated and needs #12 minimum conductors. Tap condutors would be allowed to be #14 minimum, but the circuit wiring itself is #12. Look at 210-19(b) and (d) (99NEC).

[ December 01, 2003, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: stamcon ]

dana1028

re: tap conductors

just a reminder here - these small appliance branch circuits are serving receptacles and as such these receptacles cannot be 'tapped' with 14 AWG [210-19(d), excep. 1(d)].

oldman

Thanks, after reading ahead 8 pages I found another question similar, with the answer the same.

mfred

I was always confused how you can have 15amp rated recepticles on a 20amp circuit. The small appliance breakers are 20amp, the wire is 12gage which is good for 20amp but the recepticles are 15amp. Lets say you plug an appliance that draws 9 amps in the top of the duplex recepticle and one that draws 9 amps in the bottom of the same duplex recepticle and ran them both at the same time. The circuit would draw 18 amps,the breaker will hold. Wouldnt the receptile burn up?

iwire

Staff member

Just a guess here but I would imagine they are designed for just such an occurrence.

drg

Thats a good question, I don't know the answer but I would like to know also.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

No, the 15 amp receptacle would not have any problem with two 9 amp loads. Each receptacle on the duplex is suitable for 15 amps.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.