20 space Siemans panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

John120/240

Why would these penny pinching electrical contractors install a 20 space panel, then load it up

with tandem breakers ?? What do you save, with the cost of tandem breakers ? To top it all

off they landed a 14-3 MWBC on the same tandem. damn cheapscates.:rant: Anyway it is

money in the bank to fix stupid stuff.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am sure it is a bit of a cost saver but I hate it also. I buy a straight 40 cir. panel but sometimes I go with a 30/40 if I only have 20 or so breakers spacers filled.

stevebea

Why would these penny pinching electrical contractors install a 20 space panel, then load it up

with tandem breakers ?? What do you save, with the cost of tandem breakers ? To top it all

off they landed a 14-3 MWBC on the same tandem. damn cheapscates.:rant: Anyway it is

So they can can come a year later and install a subpanel when the HO finishes their basement! ;)

maghazadeh

It is not cost saving reason all the time. There are some ECs out there that for finding amacity of a panel they add up the # of CBs plus the amp rating, and there are some who think for a 100 amp sub panel they shouldn't have more than 18 - 20 spaces.

Teaspoon

I am sure it is a bit of a cost saver but I hate it also. I buy a straight 40 cir. panel but sometimes I go with a 30/40 if I only have 20 or so breakers spacers filled.

I agree it is a good practice to use 40 circuit panel .
I most always use 40/40 panels. Sometimes if space is an issue like on a change-out I will use a 30/40. Not that much of a savings useing smaller panels. Even if changeing out a 100amp panel I like to use a 30 circuit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Good luck getting an AFCI breaker in with all that 3 conductor.
Unless he extends the circuits he should not need afci on the existing ones. However if you use a GE panel their single pole afci's are designed for this purpose. You would need handle ties , of course.

ry%3D480

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I added the diagram to the post above but want to be clear that GE is the only brand that will allow this hookup.

Strife

Because most of what you can find is either 20 or 42 spaces panels. I can't seem to find the 32 spaces in stock any longer.
And the 42 spaces are HUMONGOUS. It's ridiculous to install those monsters for 20-24 circuits.
I hate to use those 16 spaces panels, but a lot of times I don't have much of a choice as far as space.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager

It used to be the mobile home manufacturers did this a lot. I think weight was some of the reason - remember this thing has to travel down the road. Most of us could use a 40 ckt panel and full size breakers and spend less than we would for a 20/40 filled with tandems.

AFCI may change this practice - I have not seen any new mobile homes in quite some time to know what they are doing now.

cdslotz

I think GE is the only one who makes a true 2P afci breaker. It has a common handle tie.
I chose GE when rebuilding my own home service for this reason. I have several MWBC home runs in my home.

Status
Not open for further replies.