200 Amp Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank_n

I am going to install a 200amp service. The NEC alllows for 3-2/0 wires in a 1 1/2 PVC. Please answer these questions.

1- Should I use 2" PVC to make the pulling easier? (There is 1 90 deg sweep)
2- Does the service wire have to be insulated with THWN, or is THHN or THN ok? (I cannot find this in the code book)
3- Is it required that a pipes going into the Hot Water Boiler be bonded like the pipes of a Water heater?

Thanks in advance,
Frank

peter d

Re: 200 Amp Service

1. Sure

2. They should be marked "sunlight resistant" for an overhead service. Most THHN is also THWN rated so this isn't even a issue in most cases.

3. I've never seen it done, and I live in an area that is primarily hydronic heat. Usually this bonding is accomplished via the EGC run to the heating equipment.

Dnkldorf

1. Sure, why not...
2. Peter D answered this very well.
3. If you are talking about jumpering the cold inlet over to the hot output, it will not hurt anything.

macmikeman

Sometimes power company rules regarding conduit size are more stringent than the NEC. Our poco requires 3" pvc conduit for underground services rated 200 amp. Best to check with your poco first. If you are talking about a conduit on the load side of the service disconnect, then the above is not applicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.