200 amp service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venamil

Ive been told that if a 200amp service is NOT back-to-back then you have to have a disconnect means at both the ckt panel and at the meter. The person that told me this used the more then 6 ckt rule, where as if you have more then 6 ckts, then there has to be a means of disconnect.

Could someone clarify this for me.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Ive been told that if a 200amp service is NOT back-to-back then you have to have a disconnect means at both the ckt panel and at the meter. The person that told me this used the more then 6 ckt rule, where as if you have more then 6 ckts, then there has to be a means of disconnect.

There either has to be no more than 6 disconnects or a main disconnect to be compliant. The code states in 230.70(A)(1)

(1) Readily Accessible Location. The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.

bphgravity

This has nothing to do with the number of circuits or service disconnecting means. This is a 230.70(A)(1) issue. The service-entrance conductors must be capable of being disconnected outside the building or structure being served OR inside nearest the point of entrnace of the service conductors (back-to-back).

FYI, the six disconnecting means rule can be found in the very next section of the code - 230.71.

Venamil

There either has to be no more than 6 disconnects or a main disconnect to be compliant. The code states in 230.70(A)(1)

So then what they stated was true, well then if you knew of a contractor that was beating you on bids, and this was one of the reason for being lower, cause a feed through panel is much cheaper main breaker panel, would you say something or let it go and make up the price difference some where else.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
So then what they stated was true, well then if you knew of a contractor that was beating you on bids, and this was one of the reason for being lower, cause a feed through panel is much cheaper main breaker panel, would you say something or let it go and make up the price difference some where else.
The answer would depend upon your business plan. If you want to get all your jobs as low bidder the answer would be different than if you want the customers more interested in value than price.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
A feed thru panel is not illegal. What exactly is the other ec doing? If it were illegal I would bring it up to the inspector but make sure you know what you are talking about.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

It can be one or the other depending on what Bryan said.

Venamil

A feed thru panel is not illegal. What exactly is the other ec doing? If it were illegal I would bring it up to the inspector but make sure you know what you are talking about.

99% of the houses that we compete for are 2000sqft spec homes, and 99% of them are the same basic lay-out, the other ec puts his panel to the right of the inside door to the garage, and then puts the meter on the adjacent wall approx. 30ft away, i put mine back to back so i dont have to buy the main breaker panel, and he uses a feed-through but his meter is 30 ft away, my original question was, do you have to have a main breaker panel if the meter is not back to back and has more then 6 disconnects?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
99% of the houses that we compete for are 2000sqft spec homes, and 99% of them are the same basic lay-out, the other ec puts his panel to the right of the inside door to the garage, and then puts the meter on the adjacent wall approx. 30ft away, i put mine back to back so i dont have to buy the main breaker panel, and he uses a feed-through but his meter is 30 ft away, my original question was, do you have to have a main breaker panel if the meter is not back to back and has more then 6 disconnects?
If he pipes outside the structure then he can go around the entire building. Once he enters the structure then he must have a disco. as near as possible to the entrance of the conductors.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
The 6 motions of the hand have nothing to due with the distance from the meter to the main breaker.

Venamil

If he pipes outside the structure then he can go around the entire building. Once he enters the structure then he must have a disco. as near as possible to the entrance of the conductors.

Dennis are you saying that there has to be a disconnect for the meter, and a disconnect for the breaker panel, or is the main in the meter good enough. Sry but that part of the code has me going bonkers:-?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Dennis are you saying that there has to be a disconnect for the meter, and a disconnect for the breaker panel, or is the main in the meter good enough.
If there's a main disco at the meter, no more are needed within the same building.

If there is one in the panel that qualifies as the main, none is needed at the meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.