200 amp sub feed breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesco

Occupation
Master Electrician
Is there anything prohibiting me from feeding 200amp subfeed from a 200 amp main panel? Resi. Loadcenter.

Yes. The manufacturer of the panel. Check to see what the manufacturer says is the largest size breaker handle rating/size that can be installed in the panel. You should find that info somewhere on the panel enclosure.

norcal

Is there going to be adequate wire bending space? Or will it be like trying to stuff 15 pounds of manure in a 5 pound bag?

ritelec

I'm not seeing it... the 2200 gets fed line in and two sets of screws attach to the panel buss bars.
The video says the 200bb doesn't fit into that panel, and if it does, how does it attach to the buss bars in that panel?

I'm guessing that breaker gets fed line in and feeds out AND feeds that panel, but not seeing it..

to add...poor video

Nope... looked again.. I can see if the bottom plastic might come off to to access 4 screws and then there's two hex head load out for sub.. but it doesn't look like the plastic is removable and it sounds like that breaker wont fit in the 2200 panel ???

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Both of the 4-pole breakers access the buses A-B-A-B just as two 2-poles would. The upper 4-pole breaker in my earlier post has jumpers in it that connect the load terminals of poles 1 and 3 together, and the load terminals of poles 2 and 4 together, effectively paralleling two 100-amp 2-pole breakers.

The lower breaker is the same thing minus the jumpers. When used as a main breaker, poles 1 and 2 are paralleled, and poles 3 and 4 are paralleled, by the line terminal stabs and by the load terminal "pins" formed by the terminals at the top of the breaker panel buses. No alternating poles required.

kwired

Electron manager
Only the oldest Homeline panels used that style of main breaker - wasn't very many years either, then they went to using the QOM style mains.

That second photo is basically a replacement breaker for the old style mains, has no lugs that will accept a 150-225 amp conductor, intended to connect to bus designed to match it.

The first photo has large conductor lugs instead of bus connectors and is intended for use as a branch breaker. I don't think the lugs face the side wall of the cabinet either, there would not be sufficient wire bending space if they did. Remember Homeline is only made in the "loadcenter" versions with 14.5" inch wide cabinets and not in 20" (or more) wide commercial panelboard versions.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Only the oldest Homeline panels used that style of main breaker - wasn't very many years either, then they went to using the QOM style mains.

That second photo is basically a replacement breaker for the old style mains, has no lugs that will accept a 150-225 amp conductor, intended to connect to bus designed to match it.

The first photo has large conductor lugs instead of bus connectors and is intended for use as a branch breaker. I don't think the lugs face the side wall of the cabinet either, there would not be sufficient wire bending space if they did. Remember Homeline is only made in the "loadcenter" versions with 14.5" inch wide cabinets and not in 20" (or more) wide commercial panelboard versions.

They are still commonly used for the combination service entrance devices (meter/main/loadcenter) we use on the west coast.

kwired

Electron manager
They are still commonly used for the combination service entrance devices (meter/main/loadcenter) we use on the west coast.

Thanks for that info. Just don't see those around here, when we do they are usually only 8/16 space loadcenters with feed-thru lugs, and are usually Midwest or Milbank brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.