2005nec - 410.73 - Disconnects for troffers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sceepe

I was just reading Nov 2004 EC&M. Has good article on the top 25 code changes (how they rank them). Check it out if you haven't. One item I have not heard about is that: flourescent lights that have double ended lamps and ballast that can be serviced in place or reballasted must have a disconnecting means to disconnect all conductors including the neutral.

This Requirement becomes effective 1/1/08. I suppose troffers or the ballasts will have to come with a 2 pole disconnect switch built into each fixture? Would a quick connect wiring harness for the ballast work as a disconnect if the line side wires were shielded from contact?

charlie

Re: 2005nec - 410.73 - Disconnects for troffers

The time delay was to allow the manufacturers to come up with a chee . . . UH . . . inexpensive disconnecting device that the NRTLs will list. :D

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

I still don?t have my 2005 NEC yet so the only information I know about this requirement is what has been said on the forums. Would a 2-pole Molex connector meet the requirement? If so that would be very inexpensive and easy for the manufactures to add.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Its really not a requirement. If the product is not available by Jan 1, 2008, then we revert (per 90.4) to be able to use the previous product.
Its interesting that you can't get upset at the CMP over the rule, since its 3 years away. available then they are not at fault. I don't even recall this requirement at the ROP stage it was added on at the comment stage and was no public review.
This and the combination type AFCI are our first two 2008 code changes.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

At the risk of writer's cramp, here goes:
NEC 2005 410.73(G) Disconnecting Means. In indoor locations, other than dwellings and associated accessory structures, fluorescent luminaires (fixtures) that utilize double-ended lamps and contain ballast(s) that can be serviced in place or ballasted luminaires that are supplied from multiwire branch circuits and contain ballast(s) that can be serviced in place shall have a disconnecting means either internal or external to each luminaire (fixture), to disconnect simutaneously from the source of supply all conductors of the ballast, including the grounded conductor if any. The line side terminals of the disconnecting means shall be guarded. The disconnecting means shall be located so as to be accessible to qualified persons before servicing or maintaining the ballast. This requirement shall become effective January 1, 2008.

Exception No. 1: A disconnecting means shall not be required for luminaires (fixtures) installed in hazardous (classified) location(s).

Exception No. 2: A disconnecting means shall not be required for emergency illumination required in 700.16.

Exception No. 3: For cord and plug connected luminaires, an accessible separable connector or an accessible plug and receptacle shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means.

Exception No. 4: A disconnecting means shall not be required in industrial establishments with restricted public access where conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation by written procedures.

Exception No. 5: Where more than one luminaire is installed and supplied by other than a multiwire branch circuit, a disconnecting means shall not be required for every luminaire when the design of the installation includes locally accessible disconnects, such that the illuminated space cannot be left in total darkness.
Whew!

[ December 10, 2004, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

A two pole switch might be okay, except for the "line side guarded" requirement. That implies LOTO, doesn't it?

Are fluorescents which use two ungrounded conductors common in commercial use? I've only dealt with 120 line-neutral types.

That code is chock full of exceptions, isn't it!

The simplest means that would be compliant would be quick-connects for the terminals of the ballast, wouldn't it? Similar to the battery of a cordless phone?

Dwellings are exempt, so I guess it doesn't really concern me... :( Tract-homes are getting old...

[ December 10, 2004, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

charlie

George, the line side of the feed into the fixture must be guarded to keep the electrician from coming in contact with live terminals. In my opinion, a simple termination box would suffice.
I don't even recall this requirement at the ROP stage it was added on at the comment stage and was no public review.
Tom, it could not have been accepted if it wasn't subject to public review. It had to be proposed and probably rejected in the proposal stage then the panel reversed itself in the Comment stage and accepted the proposal. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.