2008 and Multiwire Branch Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.
iwire said:
What I found in many of the panels where groups of four single pole 20 amp breakers handle tied together.

The modular office furniture was of the '3 +1' circuit type.

Are you saying that there is a single handle tie that can span 4 different breakers?

If so, I have never seen one of these before.

iwire

Staff member
Pierre C Belarge said:
Are you saying that there is a single handle tie that can span 4 different breakers?

Yes .... and no.

They where Square D NQOB single pole 20s and they where linked together with a small piece of metal that fit between each breaker handle and into the holes.

The piece looked like a factory made gizmo, not a DIY thing and it seemed you could link up to 21 single pole breakers together.

But there is no common handle across the poles.

If so, I have never seen one of these before.

Same here, I was pretty surprised. And a bit peeved as I wanted to shut down the single two wire circuit to tap in a new floor receptacle. Instead I had to wait for lunch and shut down all four circuits.

iwire

Staff member
Pierre C Belarge said:
If there is a next time you are there, could you sneak a picture? I would love to see what that actually looks like.

I found them on the web

545_300.jpg

Any info I can find on them says you can use on of these to connect two single poles together.

I guess the inspector was happy to have four single poles connected together with these.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
I found them on the web

545_300.jpg

Any info I can find on them says you can use on of these to connect two single poles together.

I guess the inspector was happy to have four single poles connected together with these.

I have seen them also but never with 4 breakers hook to it. I would bet they modified those by cutting off a bit on each end, otherwise it won't fit. I don't think so anyways.:grin:

iwire

Staff member
Dennis Alwon said:
I have seen them also but never with 4 breakers hook to it. I would bet they modified those by cutting off a bit on each end, otherwise it won't fit. I don't think so anyways.:grin:

No cutting, at least I doubt it. The holes on Square D breaker handles do not pass all the way through so if the tie fits between 2 it will fit better more. (I think :) )

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
No cutting, at least I doubt it. The holes on Square D breaker handles do not pass all the way through so if the tie fits between 2 it will fit better more. (I think :) )

You know I hate being contrary ;) but I just check some Sq. D breakers in my basement that have holes all the way thru. Perhaps the older ones has the holes-- not sure.

cschmid

I use them and carry them in my truck..they are ok but your breakers must be tight together..so if you have extra slots in your panel door that have been removed and use the sq D plastic blanks that cover where the breaker has been removed..it makes the breakers a little loose and the handle ties get kind of loose on the fit..Not loose enough to fall out but sloopy enough..

C3PO

iwire said:
I found them on the web

545_300.jpg

Bob, those are a SQ D QO1HT

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
C3PO said:
Bob, those are a SQ D QO1HT

List prices from Square D Digest
(2) QO115 = $19.70 each
(1) OO1HT = $2.50
Total list price = $41.90 for a home made 2P breaker versus a factory 2P QO215 for $44.70.

When I was selling, this list price difference of $3.20 was enough that some EC's never used a factory 2P unless a code forced them to them.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
jim dungar said:
List prices from Square D Digest
(2) QO115 = $19.70 each
(1) OO1HT = $2.50
Total list price = $41.90 for a home made 2P breaker versus a factory 2P QO215 for $44.70.
I sure hope you don't pay those prices. I don't even charge that much for them.

My local HD lists QO115's and QO215's for $7.47 and & $15.47, respectively.

C3PO

LarryFine said:

I doubt anyone pays that for them. Square D's list prices are very inflated.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
LarryFine said:

My point is that as long as there is a difference in price, I know many contractors that won't spend the extra money on 2P breakers.

And any contractor that can't buy Square D for more than 50% off list price doesn't know how to shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.