2008 GFCI requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

76nemo

I went to big blue today to get a GFCI that I was asked to mount outside. On the device, there was a sticker that read,...."Not intended for outdooor use or damp locations per 2008 NEC. First I have ever seen that. Can someone fill me in? I still haven't looked at '08 yet:roll: It was a Cooper 20A device. I just bought one a couple of weeks ago, so such sticker. I know, old stock...........

Does this affect outdoor breakers as well? I wasn't about to ask if they had one listed for outdoor use, ...........you may presume why:rolleyes:

ceb58

Depending on where you are and what code cycle you are under. NC has placed that one on hold untill Jan.1, 09 unless they take the listed wet location and a few others out.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Don't have my '08 in front of me but there is a requirement for outdoor receptacles to be "weather resistant" and my guess is that the GFI you picked up is not.

76nemo

Thanks everyone for your replies. I must say though, unless I am missing something,...."Geez Loueaze". Just because the plastic can withstand more extreme cold, and the fact that the circuit board is conformal coated makes the difference in code change??? Okay, point taken, conformal coating makes sense.

Thanks again everyone:smile:

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks everyone for your replies. I must say though, unless I am missing something,...."Geez Loueaze". Just because the plastic can withstand more extreme cold, and the fact that the circuit board is conformal coated makes the difference in code change??? Okay, point taken, conformal coating makes sense.

Thanks again everyone:smile:
76....it applies to non GFI receptacles too...........

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have heard that the reason for requiring weather resistant recep is because of the clear plastic bubble covers that allow the sunlight in. Apparently this breaks down the devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.