200amp meter/disconnect combo

Stlcards23

Occupation
Lineman
New construction home; I just had a 200amp meter/disconnect combo installed 200ft from where house will be on a pedestal next to the transformer. From my understanding the breaker panel in the home will be considered a sub panel now when installed. Therefore, I will need to run 4-wire from this 200amp disconnect?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Yes.
Plus you will need a grounding electrode system at the house which will connect to your equipment ground.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If the URD is not a cable with a sheath, I see no reason it can't be added. If the conductor isn't green, green with yellow stripe, or bare, it would need to be re-identified as an EGC. It would also have to be a minimum of #4 in order for it to be allowed to be re-identified.

lordofthisworld

New construction home; I just had a 200amp meter/disconnect combo installed 200ft from where house will be on a pedestal next to the transformer. From my understanding the breaker panel in the home will be considered a sub panel now when installed. Therefore, I will need to run 4-wire from this 200amp disconnect?
Correct

Stlcards23

Occupation
Lineman
I’m having a hard time finding if 200amp panels will accept 350kcmill (currently what I have) and not have to use reducer lugs. Buy the time I purchase a single 350 conductor and 3 lugs it will be about the same to just purchase SER cable

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Caution.. Your "3 wire URD (from work)" may be exactly that, URD, and if it does not have any other rating such as RHW then it would not be a NEC approved wiring method and could result in a rejection if inspected.

Stlcards23

Occupation
Lineman
Yes.
Plus you will need a grounding electrode system at the house which will connect to your equipment ground.
The more I read into this code, since it’s an emergency disconnect, can I not install 3 wire to the main 200amp disconnect at the house?

retirede

The more I read into this code, since it’s an emergency disconnect, can I not install 3 wire to the main 200amp disconnect at the house?

In Illinois, we’re on the 2008 NEC unless your locale has adopted something later. There’s no such thing as “emergency disconnect” - yet.
That said, I see 3 wire feeders here all the time when the utility is an REC.

Stlcards23

Occupation
Lineman
In Illinois, we’re on the 2008 NEC unless your locale has adopted something later. There’s no such thing as “emergency disconnect” - yet.
That said, I see 3 wire feeders here all the time when the utility is an REC.
Ok I’m in Illinois as well. I guess I should clarify, it’s a meter/disconnect combo labeled (from POCO) emergency disconnect, service disconnect.. that being said I assumed 3 wire would be just fine. (Lineman by trade)

retirede

Ok I’m in Illinois as well. I guess I should clarify, it’s a meter/disconnect combo labeled (from POCO) emergency disconnect, service disconnect.. that being said I assumed 3 wire would be just fine. (Lineman by trade)

From a technical standpoint, 3 wire is fine. It is, however, not NEC-compliant unless you’re on the 2020 NEC or later.
If no inspection is required, I’d run 3 wire in a heartbeat. If you are subject to inspection, I’d ask the inspection authority before doing it. You don’t want to get rejected and have to do it over.

Stlcards23

Occupation
Lineman
From a technical standpoint, 3 wire is fine. It is, however, not NEC-compliant unless you’re on the 2020 NEC or later.
If no inspection is required, I’d run 3 wire in a heartbeat. If you are subject to inspection, I’d ask the inspection authority before doing it. You don’t want to get rejected and have to do it over.
Appreciate it!

Buck Parrish

A bank inspector could flag it when you sell the house. If you're ever planning on installing a pool or hot tub the fourth wire will help to make it a safer service.

I always wonder why people install meter mains in this situation? Why not just install a meter only then you can run three wire the rest of the way? (Of course 2020 Plus code with the emergency disconnect requirement would allow use of the three wire after the "emergency disconnect")

Birken Vogt

If you're ever planning on installing a pool or hot tub the fourth wire will help to make it a safer service.
How does dragging the EGC all the way back to the meter before bonding make it safer at the pool? Seems to me it makes it worse. Higher resistance and impedance path for fault current.

The 4 wire for a separate bldg only appeared in the 05 or 08 code according to another post on here. I am of the opinion that 3 wire to a detached bldg is better due to reduced length of fault current path.

So I am saying, 3 wire from meter pole to house seems like a better idea than 4 wire, to me.

There is a provision in the code IIRC that the AHJ can allow what comes in a newer code before they formally adopt the whole thing and this would be a good case for that.

retirede

I always wonder why people install meter mains in this situation? Why not just install a meter only then you can run three wire the rest of the way? (Of course 2020 Plus code with the emergency disconnect requirement would allow use of the three wire after the "emergency disconnect")

The 2 Illinois rural electric coops that I use supply meter mains by default when the meter isn’t mounted on the house. You don’t get a choice.