2011 Handbook...$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched to make sure that I was not repeating anyone else.

$150 bucks for the 2011 handbook. I guess some things do not change, like the NFPA squeezing the electrical industry to pad their vault.

The NEC is $85

They wonder why some don't carry the book. Times are tough for a lot of electricians around here, I cannot speak for the rest of the country. Guys are lowering their prices and sometimes see 40 contractors on a walk thru....
Electrical industry unemployment is around 32%, some guys who are working do not get the full week in.
The local has told guys it is a 50 week wait.....

Listen, I know the books are a tool, but do they really cost that much to publish????

A guy in my current class needed an '05, it cost him $82 before tax. Once he finishes the test, he will need the '08.

I figure I can rant for a day or two.;)

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I searched to make sure that I was not repeating anyone else.

$150 bucks for the 2011 handbook. I guess some things do not change, like the NFPA squeezing the electrical industry to pad their vault.

The NEC is $85

They wonder why some don't carry the book. Times are tough for a lot of electricians around here, I cannot speak for the rest of the country. Guys are lowering their prices and sometimes see 40 contractors on a walk thru....
Electrical industry unemployment is around 32%, some guys who are working do not get the full week in.
The local has told guys it is a 50 week wait.....

Listen, I know the books are a tool, but do they really cost that much to publish????

A guy in my current class needed an '05, it cost him $82 before tax. Once he finishes the test, he will need the '08.

I figure I can rant for a day or two.;)

Just spoke to an inspector from the City of Los Angeles, they have to budget for 500+ NEC's alone, not to mention all of the I Codes. Things are tough all over, we shop price here and usually buy our NEC from IAEI they are actually cheaper than NFPA. LOL:)

Just spoke to an inspector from the City of Los Angeles, they have to budget for 500+ NEC's alone, not to mention all of the I Codes. Things are tough all over, we shop price here and usually buy our NEC from IAEI they are actually cheaper than NFPA. LOL:)

The larger building departments around here are scrambling, as NYS is going to a new State Code Cycle later this fall, and the State budget for code books is close to $00.00

Should be interesting to see how this pans out.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
For whatever reason, technical books have always been outrageously priced. In fact any kind of educational book is in the same genre. How many times have you taken a class, bought the book for $89.95 and sold it back to the bookstore for $20.00 after the course is over. What a racket!

mcclary's electrical

Although I agree Pierre (good to see you back:grin:)

I also think the handbook is well worth the extra money. They are extremely durable, and useful. I have bought very few paperbacks, always handbooks

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
The NEC soft-bound and HB combo is $199, thats the route I will be taking. Plus, I'll save a small fortune on CD's for the 11.:mad:

Hey Pierre.:)

peter

The Code, and hence, the Handbook don't change all that much year to year [X 3]. The function of the Handbook is to explain the Code. Once you've got that then you just need the Code updates.
~Peter

mcclary's electrical

The Code, and hence, the Handbook don't change all that much year to year [X 3]. The function of the Handbook is to explain the Code. Once you've got that then you just need the Code updates.
~Peter

You must have a mind like a steel trap:grin: I find myself opening mine almost daily

Jim W in Tampa

They created a monopoly and should be illegal. All the states and counties let it happen. They found it cheaper to use NEC than write there own and that is understandable. Fight it if she want but you can't win. As long as they make it available for you to read it free it is legal. Many electricians do not even own an out of date copy. I paid about $75 for my 08 binder style and will be last one i need to buy as i am all but retired now.

~Peter

This is one of the reasons why I think the cost can be substantially less. What They should do is design a functional book that can be supplemented...I know I am dreaming.

People like me make a living off the books and enjoy it, so we buy them.
There are a lot of guys these days who have better things to spend their tight funds on.

P.S.
I will not buy the 2011 books for probably 1-2 years from this fall. We are just going to the '08 this coming fall.

480sparky

They created a monopoly and should be illegal......

Hmm. Maybe someone else should write a Handbook.

33698969.jpg

0071377352.jpg

bphgravity

If you think the cost of the NEC is bad, look at the cost of a UL or IEEE standard.

Flip to the back of the ICC code books in the Reference Chapter and try buying one of those standards. ASTM, ASME, ANSI, the list is endless. And that is just the A's...

For example, I know of one UL standard that is over $1,100 and it is only 32 pages long.

I am not defending a $100 price for the NEC, but it does put things into perspective...

If you think the cost of the NEC is bad, look at the cost of a UL or IEEE standard.

Flip to the back of the ICC code books in the Reference Chapter and try buying one of those standards. ASTM, ASME, ANSI, the list is endless. And that is just the A's...

For example, I know of one UL standard that is over $1,100 and it is only 32 pages long.

I am not defending a $100 price for the NEC, but it does put things into perspective...

Bryan
One of the differences between Standards and the NEC, is the NEC is a much more populary addopted Standard, which then becomes a code. Most, I know not all, Standards are more for manufacturers.

But...to add fuel to the fire, think of the costs to contractors and others if one were to purchase local code, such as ICC, NEC and Standards???
I personally spend about $750 every 3 years on the codes in NYS, this $$ amount does not include handbooks, etc...

Really what I was trying to impart is how cost prohibitive it has become to actually own the proper documents to be fully informed of our daily requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.