2011 NEC on smart phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I saw a coupon inside the copies @ the supply house offering a free pdf download; it may be possible to load that into your phone.

I have the '08 stored in my BB that I can view with repligo reader. Its not the ideal way to use the book, but its there when I need it. I probably use it on my phone at least once a week.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I saw a coupon inside the copies @ the supply house offering a free pdf download; it may be possible to load that into your phone.

With the fileopen protection attached to that download, I think it unlikely. They say it will only open on one computer, and to get through the process I'd imagine you'd need a full sized computer.

dhalleron

I once had a text version of the National Fire Alarm code on my old PDA about 10 years ago. I used it a lot on job sites. It was fairly easy to read.

I haven't tried to load the PDF version of NFPA codes on my current smart phone yet. There was some kind of Adobe add on I had to download on my pc to open them. I wonder if my smart phone version of Adobe Reader will use that add on?

360Youth

I tried to load 2011 on to my Droid and it would not work. I have Adobe 10.1, Adobe PDF, Quickoffice, et.al, on the phone, but there is an extention file that is needed to open the pdf that is not compatible with any of the mobile OS' (with the possible exception of WP7, but I have not messed with that one much, it is barely out of the gate) I even made several calls to NFPA and they said it is not available. I was quite disappointed.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Mark Early of the NFPA has a Iphone app - with voice recognition. Speak the NEC section, and up pops the NEC rule. So it can be done. But Mark is the head electrical guy.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
With the fileopen protection attached to that download, I think it unlikely. They say it will only open on one computer, and to get through the process I'd imagine you'd need a full sized computer.

i wasn't aware they had that type of protection on it.

i haven't bought the '11 yet since we don't use it until '12.

that really stinks though. so is it not going to be possible for me to have a copy on my desktop and my laptop?

adding these types of protection only drives people willing to pay to other sources for the material.

jumper

that really stinks though. so is it not going to be possible for me to have a copy on my desktop and my laptop?

adding these types of protection only drives people willing to pay to other sources for the material.

The adobe add on is a pain. It does limit the downloads to a single computer. As usual the NFPA has screwed us again.

360Youth

I have it on one of our work computers and on my laptop at the house. Not sure how the limit it to two cpus. It is not so much protection as the type of file required to open the pdf. One of the ladies I spoke with at NFPA was a little on the tense side when I talked about wanting it on my phone. Said, essentially, that I was breaking the law to try and put it on my phone

360Youth

The adobe add on is a pain. It does limit the downloads to a single computer. As usual the NFPA has screwed us again.

I can't blame them for trying to limit file sharing in this day of Napster type living. (Of which I am not completely innocent myself :roll:)

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I can't blame them for trying to limit file sharing in this day of Napster type living. (Of which I am not completely innocent myself :roll:)

Yeah but this isn't some struggling artist' hard work. These are basically laws we have to work by. They are trying to achieve higher profits on providing these laws to us hard working stiffs... IMHO there's a big difference.

The price they charge is horrible

SmithBuilt

The price they charge is horrible

They have to charge that much in order to pay for the printing and postage of all the ads they send out. :mad:

It's kind of a love hate relationship with the NFPA. I know they have a job to do, an important one. But it looks like profit gets in the way of safety sometimes. I'm sure many people would buy more codes that would promote safety if they were less expensive.

Npstewart

There is a application for the iphone. Its the entire NEC 2008 handbook by McGraw Hill. Its $74.99 which is cheaper then the printed version.

Status
Not open for further replies.