2017 NEC, NM-B THROUGH BORED HOLES IN WOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielt

Occupation
Master Electrician
I was first failed for this in the mid 90s. Ran out of romex staples and used some 4/0 ser staples in two large sets for my homeruns across a garage ceiling. I wasn't failed for violating the UL listing, but for bundling. The term "choke point" is often thrown around.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I was first failed for this in the mid 90s. Ran out of romex staples and used some 4/0 ser staples in two large sets for my homeruns across a garage ceiling. I wasn't failed for violating the UL listing, but for bundling. The term "choke point" is often thrown around.
When it comes to this section the term "choke point" is also used around here also but it's in reference to the inspectors neck. :)

Sparky Adam

Master Electrician
Occupation
Operations Manager / Master Electrician
How I've interpreted it is this:

If the NM cable stackers are listed and you don't have to derate when using them, then that spacing around the cables is the minimum spacing required around romex when run together.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
How I've interpreted it is this:

If the NM cable stackers are listed and you don't have to derate when using them, then that spacing around the cables is the minimum spacing required around romex when run together.

I have not been working in the field but in the past the info on the stackers stated "de-rating should be considered". Whatever that means.

gasgas

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is anybody able to point to an article number within the 2017 NEC stating why we failed a rough inspection due to the number of NM-B's we installed in a bored hole through wood?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Is anybody able to point to an article number within the 2017 NEC stating why we failed a rough inspection due to the number of NM-B's we installed in a bored hole through wood?
There is no limit in the NEC to the number of cables going through a hole. The inspector can call the cables bundled, and then you need to do the computation I did for you in post #17.

Cheers, Wayne

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
If IMG_3356.jpg soffits will be filled with thermal insulation, then technically cables will be "installed in contact with thermal insulation", per last sentence of 334.80.

If 334.80 ampacity adjustment applies, are there enough cables to require CCC adjustment below 20 Amps?

Status
Not open for further replies.